Reply To: Advice before I head to Dr. Kang….possible direct hernia

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion Advice before I head to Dr. Kang….possible direct hernia Reply To: Advice before I head to Dr. Kang….possible direct hernia

Watchful
Participant

Thanks, Alan. It’s good that Dr. Kang is very experienced and doesn’t get concerned unnecessarily. It can be tricky to know what is within the normal range of symptoms after the surgery, and what should raise concern.

Yes, the hard ridge in the incision area is normal. My understanding is that it takes a long time for it to soften and go away.

They didn’t completely cut the cremaster and cut the genital nerve branch in my case. They don’t adhere to the original procedure like they did in the past. Also, prolene was used instead of stainless steel for the stitching.

Nerve cutting is a tricky topic. The genital nerve branch is cut in the original Shouldice because the cremaster is completely cut. Supposedly, this reduces recurrence. Also, the genital nerve can sometimes be injured during the procedure because of the traction of the spermatic cord. Other nerves aren’t normally cut in the Shouldice procedure unless they get injured or they’re located in places where they get in the way of the procedure. The nerve anatomy varies from person to person. I don’t know if Dr. Kang has to cut nerves occasionally as well – seems like it’s unavoidable sometimes, but I don’t know for sure.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar