Reply To: You are going to Korea for hernia surgery???????

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion You are going to Korea for hernia surgery??????? Reply To: You are going to Korea for hernia surgery???????

Watchful
Participant

David M,

Here’s my understanding based on my discussions with surgeons – I’m not a surgeon myself. The relevant challenge is in reducing the large hernia, and dealing with possible adhesions. For example, I had a large indirect hernia with a scrotal component. Reducing that to enable the laparoscopic insertion of a mesh could be challenging. When you go open (mesh or tissue), you can deal with that mess much more easily – it’s all right there for you to manipulate. There may be other aspects – I never went into it in much detail with them.

This may be different for a direct hernia – I didn’t have that, and didn’t research that.

As to tissue vs open mesh for large hernias… It’s possible to fix large inguinal hernias with tissue repair. They do it at the Shouldice Hospital, Dr. Kang does it, and so does Dr. Tomas. Some others won’t do it on large hernias. A more important factor for tissue repair is the tissue quality. They all rely on some decent-quality tissue. Another factor is the anatomy. A deeper anatomy makes some types of repair (such as Shouldice) more difficult.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar