News Feed Discussions Watchful, could you summarize your experience at Shouldice? Reply To: Watchful, could you summarize your experience at Shouldice?

• Watchful

January 25, 2023 at 8:58 pm

William,

Thanks for the good wishes – much appreciated.

Baris went to Dr. Koch in Germany, and then to Shouldice. At Shouldice, Dr. Alexander helped him. Unfortunately, he retired during the pandemic. He was one of the extraordinary surgeons there. The other great one in recent times was Dr. Degani, but he’s mostly retired now.

Lichtenstein would have certainly been a much easier surgery in my case, but as to what would have been better in the long run – who knows. The main problem wasn’t really tissue vs mesh in my case. I don’t think anyone outside the Shouldice Hospital would have done Shouldice in my case, but that’s just a tangential point that I’m making.

I had another problem in my groin which wasn’t handled correctly, and that created a (non-funny) comedy of errors for me over there. I’m not going into much detail on that because I think it’s irrelevant to others here, but my point on this is that it’s not the right place for complex cases. If you have one of those, be less focused on tissue vs mesh, and more focused on how you can get the right care for a complex case.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Watchful.