News Feed Discussions The best strategy for the management of inguinodynia is prevention Reply To: The best strategy for the management of inguinodynia is prevention

• Watchful

April 13, 2023 at 3:40 pm

Thanks, MarkT. If it’s based on people coming back complaining about pain after 3 months, then it’s hard to know what to conclude exactly. Proactive follow up is really needed. Still, it’s an impressive result.

It’s interesting that he cuts the ilioinguinal nerve. I wonder what symptoms patients have from that (numbness in certain areas?)

Chronic pain studies seem to be all over the place, which is very confusing. It really feels like it’s ultimately really the choice of surgeon that makes the most difference, and not the particular procedure or its details. I once asked a urologist what procedure he would recommend for hernia surgery. He basically said pick the surgeon, not the procedure. He said go with a surgeon who has done a very large number of whatever particular procedure he prefers with good results, and don’t worry about the choice of procedure because that doesn’t make much difference. I was a bit skeptical of this advice at the time since I had this whole tissue repair vs mesh dilemma stuck in my head, but I now think that he was right.