News Feed Discussions Need advice whether to have surgery or not. Reply To: Need advice whether to have surgery or not.

• Chaunce1234

November 27, 2017 at 1:09 am
    quote kevin-pa:

I’m in Eastern Pennsylvania. 2 hours from NYC or Philadelphia. Considering regular open surgery. Only symptoms I have is a dull groin ache if I am on my feet all day long. Or if I go for a long hike, or something. Otherwise, I’d never even know I had it besides the small bulge. I have tried to look up photos online to see how my bulge compares to others. Somedays it’s barely there and almost flat. Other’s it might feel like it’s the size of an egg cut in half.

I am seeing the surgeon tomorrow, actually. As I mentioned, I had (have?) a scheduled surgery date for Nov. 30.

How did the appointment go?

It sounds like the hernia doesn’t bother you much which is great. Also a chief of surgery would presumably have a good number of hernia procedures under their belt with a lot of experience, but you can always ask the surgeon how many hernias they have fixed too if you might find that helpful.

If you want a second opinion for whatever reason, the following is a list of eastern USA surgeons that either have a particular interest/specialty in hernias and/or possibly offer non-mesh repair if appropriate to the patient. Obviously there are going to be many great docs that are not on this list too.

– Dr Brian Jacobs in New York, NY

– Dr Samer Sbayi in Long Island, NY (trained at Shouldice clinic in Toronto)

– Dr William Meyers in Philadelphia, PA (special focus on athletes, sports hernia, and core injuries)

– Dr Alexander Poor in Philadelphia, PA

– Dr Jarrod P Kaufman MD in Brick, NJ

– Dr. Andrew Boyarsky in New Brunswick, NJ

– Dr Igor Belyansky in Annapolis, MD

– Dr David Grischkan in Cleveland, Ohio

– Dr Paul Szotek in Indianapolis, IN

– Dr Bruce Ramshaw in Knoxville, TN

– Dr Jonathan Yunis in Sarasota, FL

– Dr Robert Tomas in Fort Meyers, FL

Good luck and keep us updated on your decisions and progress.