Alan keen —any update for the group?

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion Alan keen —any update for the group?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Chuck
      Participant

Hope you on the mend from the kang repair…i think you picked the best doc in the world… would love to hear any thoughts you have on Dr. Kangs diagnostic skills….did you know for sure you had two hernias when you flew to korea? I have a direct hernia that might have returned..pain but no bulge…

Alan
      Participant

Hi Chuck,

All good so far, the pain died down quite fast once I got home and rested, the only issue left is a tight feeling right side but that’s fading every day. I’ve been out walking quite a bit which I think has helped. (Mike said he had the same sensation for a while).

I knew I had two – they were direct and quite obvious (left was larger). Dr Kang said he also found an indirect on the right side which he patched up (I think he said there was more than one hernia sack poking through?). He said the left appeared ok and at low risk so he didn’t do anything to that side (other than the direct hernia).

A technician did my ultrasound and called in Dr Kang after taking screenshots, I think he could tell right away what was needed. He must see thousands of scans and then get to see the actual structure the next day when operating so I would assume he would be as good as they get for diagnostics.

Would it be possible to get an ultrasound locally and send images to Dr Kang before travelling?

I’m gutted I was unable to see much of the country so you could certainly fill your days if it turns out it’s not a hernia.

Thanks
      Alan

Chuck
      Participant

Alan thanks so much for your input…I am very depressed that i did not know much about Kang…i have this constant dull ache on my right side but no bulge. Did you have visible bulges on both sides? I feel confident its a hernia because the mesh resolved the pain and it only returned with mesh removal. Just curious–nearly every doctor i talked to recommended laproscopic surgery for bi lateral hernias. On the face of it that made sense to me…as bilateral cutting gives you two decent chances for chronic pain. How did you push through to make the right decision? Everyone tells me i am nuts to go to korea…but you and i know better. I have read many reports of chronic pain out of the shouldice clinic…and several surgeons told me they had several patients with poor outcomes from “that clinic”….who knows most of the mesh whores are liars to the core.

Chuck
      Participant

also gotta love that Dr, kANG found a hernia and didnt try to fix it…contrast with my crook surgeon carvajal who found a hernia…with zero probing and diagnostics and decided to “fix” it even though there was not bulge and the pain was minor.

Watchnwaitin
        Participant

<“also gotta love that Dr, kANG found a hernia and didnt try to fix it…” >

He found a hernia and didn’t fix it? Maybe I’m missing something but thought the way @Alan described it was that Kang fixed both directs and a right indirect and left side was fine in regards to an indirect(no hernia), so all were fixed.

Wouldn’t want to fly all the way to Korea then find out after the op that one hernia wasn’t fixed.

Watchful
      Participant

Deleted.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Watchful.
      Watchful
      Participant

Chuck,

I also saw reports of chronic pain from some Shouldice Hospital patients. It’s hard to know what to make of it because they do 7,000 repairs a year. Even if only 1% have chronic pain, that’s 70 people a year, or 1-2 per week on average. That may seem like a lot, but it would still be much less than what studies show for mesh. A couple of German surgeons I talked to mentioned 1-3% chronic pain for a Shouldice procedure. I don’t recall if Dr. Kang disclosed his chronic pain rates, whether he studies that, how he defines it and follows up, etc.

Which surgeons told you they saw several patients with bad outcomes from “that clinic”? I don’t think they get many foreign patients from the US or other countries these days. All the patients I talked to during my stay there were Canadian. I was a bit surprised by that.

Good intentions
      Participant

It might be worthwhile to go a little bit deeper in to the type of “chronic pain”. It could vary from a twinge when lifting a heavy weight to soreness after a ten mile run to inability to focus when simply sitting at a desk. The more vague the definition is the easier it is to maintain the status quo.

The word debilitating is the one to really watch out for. Pain that makes a person weaker, unable to do the things that they expected to be able to do.

Watchful
      Participant

Correct. There’s a huge difference between occasional pain during some exertion or random occasions, and debilitating pain. I actually asked about this when I was at the Shouldice Hospital, and was told 1% for chronic pain, and some of those are debilitating, but I wasn’t told what percentage was debilitating. I don’t think they really know the answer. They are doing a multi-year study of this, but I think many patients don’t bother participating because of the burden of filling out all those extensive forms. They should have made it much less burdensome – don’t let the perfect get in the way of the good enough. I asked a few patients, and none of them were participating.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar