Appt with Dr. B removal —does anyone have anythng good

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion Appt with Dr. B removal —does anyone have anythng good

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Chuck
      Participant

I had an appt with Dr B yesterday to discuss removal of my bilateral Bard 3d max mesh…he said he could do it but said there was signicant risk—-what was shocking to me is that he basically conceded that my mesh was likely already stuck to all my internal organs…the vas the chord the bladder the nerves and probably some veins….he said this was “normal” and that few patients have problems with lap mesh surgery. Are you kidding me? how is it normal to have plastic glued to all these internal organs…again i ask how is this operation even legal??? I asked him whether proactive removal might be worth it…and he said yes! Unbelievable…Dr B is a great and humble guy…and prob the best removal surgeon in the world…but am i missing something with lap surgery…Dr towfigh promotes it as the gold standard all the time… but it seems anything but….

Watchful
      Participant

Surprising that it would be “normal” for the mesh to be stuck to the bladder.

Asking why it’s “legal” is a bit naive (no offense). Many invasive procedures, particularly surgeries, can be very harmful. Even simple procedures have potentially serious complications. You can get seriously injured just from having a benign lesion removed from your skin. Harmful and unnecessary cosmetic surgeries are performed all the time, and they are “legal”.

You can’t assume that a procedure is safe or the right thing to do just because doctors perform it. Not really analogous to what we’re talking about, but to make that point – surgeons used to perform lobotomies for many years until 1960 or so. A doctor (Moniz) who pioneered that monstrous procedure actually won a Nobel prize in medicine. If that doesn’t tell you enough to be extremely cautious with the practice of medicine, I don’t know what would. Caveat Emptor.

With an inguinal hernia, watchful waiting appears to be less risky than the surgery, but it can become too symptomatic at some point, and surgery starts winning the risk/benefit balance. The risk is still there, and it materializes in some cases, but mesh works fine in the large majority of cases. So does tissue repair in the right candidates, but hardly anyone practices it anymore for a number of reasons, including the skill level required for performing it well.

So, in this case, medicine offers solutions that work reasonably well in most cases, but no great/perfect solutions, and no solutions that don’t suffer from some relatively rare bad outcomes. What can you do? If you truly have to treat it, it’s reasonable to take the chance, but getting burned is a possibility.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Watchful.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar