Lack of mesh removal success stories?

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion Lack of mesh removal success stories?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Chuck
      Participant

Folks i have spoken with many of the mesh removal surgeons in the US….Yunis claims to remove mesh 1-2 per week….Towfigh says she removes mesh 1-2 times per week….Belyansky says he removes mesh several times per month—-so say conservatively this is 10 people per week having mesh removed….that should be 520 per year and yet i can count the number of mesh removals stories on this forum on one hand…ere must be more success stories out there….are people getting completely great results just not posting them….is mesh removal easier than claimed by the posters on this forum

Good intentions
      Participant

The mesh implantation process involves dissecting a large space between the peritoneum and the fascia of the abdominal wall. It is a destructive process, with tearing/peeling, cutting, and cauterization involved. The mesh explantation process is similar, but it usually happens after body tissue has grown in to the pores and around the fibers of the mesh. Hopefully called “incorporation’. Becoming one with the body. All of the work that the body has done to encapsulate the mesh fibers has to be carefully undone. Leaving layers of damaged tissue behind.

There is no reason to expect “great” results from mesh removal. I think that most people have mesh removed so that they can begin to get better, to start moving upward instead of feeling stuck in one spot. But the healing process is slow, taking months and years. There is no immediate healing, nothing even close to the “wait three weeks and go back to full activity” that is promised when the mesh is implanted. In short, after mesh removal you’ll feel (maybe) that now there is hope and the work that you do to get better will pay off. If you decide to do it, plan for a long recovery and be happy if things happen faster than you had planned. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Chuck
      Participant

Good intentions…thanks…did your hernias recur? if so who fixed them? some here make removal sound easy and stress free—yours is a more sober look….but at the same time you say mesh is hopelessly toxic which implies that everyone should get it out….i am finding that doctors dont want to do tissue repairs after mesh has been removed…is that your experience?

William Bryant
      Participant

There aren’t many surgeons who will do tissue after mesh. That is true.

ajm222
      Participant

Both Belyanksy and Procter advised me that an open tissue repair after removal was definitely feasible and they could do it. Dr. Brown also has done this. And I believe there is a history of Sbayi doing it, too. I imagine there are more out there, including Towfigh. That’s five surgeons just right there, though Brown appears to have finally retired.

Not to totally speak for Good Intentions, but he has indicated here several times his hernias have not recurred after several years, and I believe he had a history of both direct and indirect hernias.

William Bryant
      Participant

Thanks for that ajm, I was always under the impression it was not very common to do tissue after mesh, seems it is less uncommon than I thought. Which will be good news to all those with mesh, especially Chuck.

I have read that many people who have mesh removal don’t need repair as the scar tissue is enough.

Good intentions
      Participant

No offense intended Chuck but I’ve noticed that you seem to be trying to get more from the various posts than is actually in them. Looking for some sort of concrete answer. My posts aren’t about mesh being “hopelessly toxic” or meant to imply that everyone should have mesh removed or even that everyone should avoid it. They are focused on the lack of effort by the industry to understand why one in six or more people who get implants suffer from them. People go to the doctor to either remove the risk of hernia incarceration or to remove pain or even just to be more comfortable and many of them come out worse than when they went in, with their lives permanently changed for the worse. My posts are meant to be more broad, pointing out that there’s something obviously wrong in the hernia repair field.

And I haven’t seen any posts about easy and stress free mesh removals. Sorry, I think that you’re trying too hard to find a clear message. It’s a difficult place to be in.

I had a direct hernia on the right and when my surgeon asked me before surgery if I felt anything on the left I said that I had felt an occasional twinge. When I woke up he said that he had found a lipoma on the left but he looked uncomfortable as he told me, and he said that he had placed mesh on the left also. Apparently, small lipomas, or fat deposits, are common and often pain-free. I probably did not need mesh on the left side but once that space is created??? Better put some mesh in there.

Dr. Billing, who removed the mesh said that he waits until things have healed up after mesh removal before repairing any hernias that might happen. My mesh had been in place for three years so the abdominal wall was thickened and callused which probably helps avoid hernia recurrence.

ajm222
      Participant

Yeah, often there is no obvious hernia present at the time of removal due to the ‘scar plate.’ However, there are no guarantees it will hold long term. No real good studies on that. I was told a hernia that was originally indirect was more likely to hold than direct.

Chuck
      Participant

Good Intentions…no offense intended…but most of your posts are very negative about hernia mesh and hernia mesh removal. I am trying to get an accurate assessment of the risks of removal. I learned the Dr Yunis has performed hundreds of lap removals…add in Towfigh.,,Berliansky etc…probably several thousand lap installed mesh removals have been accomplished…i have spoken with several folks outside this forum that got seamless results from mesh removal…process was easier than original placement, and the large total number of removals makes me wonder whether the few posts of the complainers posted here can be given proper weight. I appreciate your knowledge and your many posts. Can i ask you one question? Did you removal operation cause issues over and above what you were suffering from prior to removal??? That is the main issue here…i understand that removal may not solve all pre existing problems. I think a lot of my mesh issues are psychologicial…ie why did i put a potential time bomb into my body???? i have no good answer for that. Given the known risks that mesh can erode degrade amd migrate…i am trying to determine whether the risks of removal ourweigh the risks of trying to proactively prevent future or current issues…so if the removal process itself has not caused problems for the majority of patients…maybe its worth a shot.

Good intentions
      Participant

” Can i ask you one question? Did you removal operation cause issues over and above what you were suffering from prior to removal??? ”

No, everything got better within just a few days of having the mesh removed. Things are still getting better. The only thing that bothers me now is irritation at the area where there is a small piece of mesh remaining, because it was too entangled with critical structures to remove. If I ever need to have surgery in that area in the future I will be asking if the surgeon can tease that last piece out.

ajm222
      Participant

regarding that last piece of mesh left behind, i believe i recall you saying in the recent past that it really wasn’t bothering you much anymore nowadays. is it only with vigorous activity?

Good intentions
      Participant

I have found that it comes with extended activity, like after yard work or long walks. It’s not the intensity, it’s the duration. It seems to be the rubbing, like a tight spot in a shoe, very localized to that area. It feels like a hot spot that shows up hours after a long hike, then fades away over a day or two.

Chuck
      Participant

Good Intentions —THANKS SO MUCH—-this has been the issue i have been trying to nail down…without much luck…Ie Does the actual removal cause NEW problems…such that removal should be avoided. Most i have chatted with have said the removal helped or didnt with PRE EXISTING symptoms–but no one has said..that the removal surgery caused more damage. My view is i will risk removal if the removal surgery by and large wont cause damage to me…so if anyone has removal damage stories i would love hear them….i just dont think it makes sense to keep this plastic junk in me and hope it never blows up…any rebuttals to this point of view. welcome

Chuck
      Participant

good intentions –many i have spoken with have said that some part of the mesh had to remain post removal…in your discussions with folks have you found that to always be the case….it seems like areas around the spermatic chord always have to be left…Belyanksi said he could likely get it all…but who knows…AJM I believe you said all of your mesh was removed. if i could guarantee all mesh removed…without much removal damage i would do it…

dh305
      Participant

@chucktaylor I saw Yunis and he also made it like removal was a walk in the park and it was even enjoyable for him to remove it. He said within a few days I’d feel 90% better. Gave me pause based on the stories I see here about removal and sobering and thorough and honest posts from @ajm222 and others. I agree that with all the removals supposedly done that there are very few posts about removal success stories. I’m in a spot about 3 years in where there is no intense pain, just soreness when active a lot which always goes away with rest. Not sure if that merits removal. Sure would like to hear more accounts regarding post-removal outcomes.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar