The Tragic Con Game that is Lap Mesh Surgery

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion The Tragic Con Game that is Lap Mesh Surgery

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Chuck
      Participant

From time to time i see folks here posting that while they understand the risks of lap mesh surgery, they would still consider it in certain circumstances. Dr. Felix just had double lap ingunial surgery to replace his tissue repair…but i see other smart posters here saying they are not certain that lap mesh is not the best approach….perhaps this is due to Dr Towfighs constant statments that it has the lowest chance of recurrance and the lowest chronic pain risks…she said this is indisputable…but it is easily disputable with almost any reaseach at all. Doctors push this surgery because thats what they do…and they dont mind lying if needed to sucker you into it. I went to 6 surgeons before making the tragic mistake to allow lap mesh surgery…all said it was not risky and all said the had NEVER seen a complication….Absolute lies. Lap surgery is marketed as minimally invasive but its the exact opposite…under the surface of the tissue…huge chunks of tissue are disrupted…and gigantic blankets of plastic junk are shoved in in the most inartful way possible…by a doctor using chopsticks and watching a big screen tv acroos the room…if you watch this surgery…you will see that the plastic just gets shoved in…frequently starts to ball up and fold…but is then held in place with barbaric tacks shot into the body with a gun….this is theodoric of york stuff…and i feel mentally disabled that i allowed my perfectly healthy body to be destroyed by this inane procedure…unlike open surgery…the pieces of mesh used are gigantic…6x 4 inche beach blankets of toxic plastic crap and nearly every lap patient will be conned into getting the other side done even if no hernia exists…its absolutley criminal….these huge plastic blankets are get stuck to every major organ inside the body…I have had several doctors tell me this is completely normal…is it normal to have plastic growing into your bladder…your spermatic chord…your vas deferens???? come on people…its NOT normal….i am going to try to pull these plastic tarps out of me in sept…God help me..,,because lying doctors will not..

drtowfigh
      Keymaster

@chucktaylor
      It’s one thing to share your story of complications. But do not use this platform to spread incorrect information. The terms you use, frequently starts to ball up,” “plastic just gets shoved in,” etc are not factual and can only scare patients.

I am sorry that you had a complication. I have patients of my own that have had complications. They occur with any operation: open, laparoscopic, robotic, with mesh, without mesh.

All operations have complications. Hernia surgery should be tailored to the needs of the patients. Laparoscopic hernia repair with mesh, if you look at population studies (not individual situations), have the best outcomes.

It really is disingenuine to attack surgeons who are here to help by calling them liars, etc. I have thick skin and am tolerant of a lot of posts on this open discussion forum. But I will not tolerate false information posts or defamatory posts.

Dudley
      Participant

Long time lurker, first time poster feeling a need to chime in a bit here.

Chuck, first let me just start by saying that I have genuine empathy for you as a patient clearly suffering through some challenging outcomes of this journey you’ve shared through your many posts. In the anonymity of a digital forum it can be hard to fully complete the human connection, but I have every reason to believe you are a good person going through some really bad events and my heart truly hurts for you. Not just as a fellow patient navigating complications, but as a fellow human being. I’m sure like myself, you probably first came to Hernia Talk as a resource to learn more, share your experience, and maybe find a new avenue or way of thinking to help you deal with or overcome your plight. Maybe at times it’s been a place to commiserate with others when the challenges feel overwhelming. Maybe even at times it’s just a place to sign-onto that might still spark a little hope to keep fighting the good fight. You don’t know me, but trust that I have a lot of empathy for what you’ve shared with everyone.

However, please reconsider directing your frustrations and pain from throwing flames at Dr. Towfigh and the castigation of all doctors using some methods that you believe created such difficulties for you as all being bad or untruthful. By and large these folk are good warriors trying to help their fellow man/woman. Most doing so with the best information available to them under some pretty difficult circumstances. Even more so, general surgeons that specialize in hernia repair are often those with an even greater challenge because they are often left dealing with the complications born from other surgeon misfires, and regularly with patients that have increased comorbidities, or some that didn’t always make the best lifestyle choices (smoking, high BMI, diabetes II etc.) Their operative cases aren’t always the types that most budding surgeons want to delve into, and yet the world needs these dedicated folk because of the unfortunate and rampant prevalence of the condition. (Something that I believe places like Hernia Talk help to improve in real-time and as we all march forth… for BOTH patients, as well doctors that need to continue to learn from the people they are treating).

As someone who has been needing to usurp some pretty inexplicable fractures in care himself, I have more understanding than you might realize that there are instances where good doctors end up doing bad things. Most unintentional, but sadly and rarely sometimes not… and that can be incredibly dispiriting when the fundamentals of trust surrounding things of such consequence are lost or become purposefully evasive. So I”m truly sorry if that was your experience, I know it can be soul-sucking. But for heavens sake, let’s please not throw the daggers of your frustration and pain at Dr. Towfigh. And especially not in her own digital backyard.

What she’s done with this forum, and her efforts to bring together those with the highest profile within this specialized community is something unique and commendable. You don’t find this level of surprisingly transparent discussion going on with doctors in other disease states, and certainly not with the patient being included at the forefront. Whether you agree with certain positions, or take strong oppositions to others, please remember that these postings and weekly shows with this wide berth of guests is something pretty invaluable. I can’t imagine the amount of work she puts into making the whole HT set of resources happen day in and day out, and I know my gal and I have learned a number of things along the way that had this not existed would’ve made portions of our experience more difficult to clarify. We all need doctors whose intent is to try and make things better, and whether you agree with one part of her operative armamentaria or not… Dr. Towfigh has gone to some extraordinary lengths with these destinations to help seed the necessary debate around these issues. Which certainly DOES require ongoing pressure testing from the patient experiences of those like yourself over time. But this place provides a refreshing oasis within a system that historically has tended to push down against frank discussion when it comes to issues of complications.

So, I’ll just say once again I’m not discounting your pain or desire to elevate your voice around cautions you feel quite passionate about. I truly can feel the sincerity of your hurt, and those of many others we’ve seen struggling on the forum. I wish the larger patient community could find even better solutions to rally more collectively around those that are feeling most despondent, because that’s what this is all about – people helping other people. But please, try not to throw the rage so pointedly at the doctor who took the courageous step to put these things out there. Because she wasn’t responsible for what happened to you, and yet still is providing an important vehicle where people can come to both agree and disagree respectfully. Consider reserving that spirited and pointed anger we all understand you’re going through, as fuel to get to the better solution you seek, which I still hope and believe you can find.

Respectfully
      Dudley

Chuck
      Participant

Dudely…thanks i know Dr Twofigh to be a compassionate soul…and she has helped many remove mesh…but she also keeps touting this dangerous surgery as the best option in many according to all the studies…that is simply not accurate. There are many studies saying open mesh is superior..I have completely stopped believing doctors…plastic does not belong in the body…period…even dr towfigh says she has never removed a mesh that has not shown signs of causing significant inflammation. Anyone who is considering lap surgery and thinks its minimally invasive is sorely mistaken…

drtowfigh
      Keymaster

To be clear, all implants will show a chronic inflammation when removed from the body and examined under a microscope. That is different than causing a total body inflammatory reaction, which they commonly don’t. And mesh is used lap or open, not just wiht lap.

Watchful
      Participant

What about stainless steel sutures? Would they show chronic inflammation as well? If yes, then I guess Desarda is the only technique which doesn’t leave anything in your body that causes inflammation (since absorbable sutures are used).

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar