News Feed Discussions No-mesh inguinal hernia repair near Minnesota/Midwest? Reply To: No-mesh inguinal hernia repair near Minnesota/Midwest?

• UhOh!

August 29, 2019 at 1:05 am
    quote Tino_7:

Dr. Grischkan will attempt a tissue repair first, but if it is too large for that, he will use a Gore-Tex mesh. I consulted with him and he said my hernia (Grade 2) can be a tissue repair, but cautioned me that if it grew too much he’d have to use mesh. He did say the quality of his mesh was above that used in all other mesh repairs at hospitals.

Perhaps you can comment, based on your interaction, but reading Grischkan’s website, it sounds as though he’s using mesh for a fundamentally different purpose than the majority of surgeons.

From what I understand, it’s usually used as a “patch” which, when combined with tissue ingrowth, serves the function of a bandage or splint. It sounds, from what I’ve read, that Dr. Grischkan is trying to get the Gore-Tex (which I thought was a bit stretchy) to mimic the form and function of the damaged fascia itself. It would be reasonable to expect different results, no?