News Feed Discussions Auto immune disease and mesh rejection Auto immune disease and mesh rejection

• groundfaller

September 3, 2015 at 4:10 am

Auto immune disease and mesh rejection

It’s irresponsible and unethical. I understand that any number of problems can happen and one can’t always definitively say that it is an inherent problem of the mesh or that it was the doctor’s mistake (or some other thing), but if it doesn’t work then it doesn’t work. Say so. I felt dismissed and pushed out of the office when I went back a year later with trouble. I have suffered from serious depression in the meantime and my relationships with family and friends and coworkers have suffered. If I could take the pain back I had before the surgery, I would. It was manageable.

Please doctors, let the data be accurate instead of trying to protect your reputation or the future of the procedure or the usage of the prosthetic. I wouldn’t even dare to speculate how many other people feel the way I do and believe, and probably rightfully so, that the complications are sorely under reported.

It’s funny how when I explained my situation to my current physical therapist he just dropped his head and remarked how typical it is and that their job is to simply do the surgery and then wash their hands of the situation and move on. The sad part is that better comprehensive care with professionals that know how to talk to patients beforehand coupled with doctors that can perform the surgery and a concerted after care protocal would help so many people either make the right decision to not have the surgery or to find adequate follow up care when things dont work out. Instead, we leave everything up to the patient to make a less than informed decision and then flap in the wind afterwards. Surgeons only know their part which is the surgery but they and their team should know where to send people next, especially in the face of complications.

I challenge anyone to find detailed information about adequate written follow up care in addition to the “dont lift more than 10 lbs for 4-6 weeks and then go about life as usual.” Your abdomen was just cut open! If I broke my arm I would get more advice and help and my arm isnt at the center of all my movement. If the research to support the follow up care isn’t available yet the surgery is still performed, someone needs to fast track that into happening.

Futhermore, if you do find detailed follow up care instructions on recovery and resuming life and/or coping with complications…POST IT! HERE! People need information. I know, I know everyone is different and the follow up can’t be standardized. Well I would rather know what I could possibly be doing instead of sitting here with my thumb up…which was my original surgeons suggestion. “This is just going to be the new you” is what I was told.