News Feed Discussions Watchful, could you summarize your experience at Shouldice? Reply To: Watchful, could you summarize your experience at Shouldice?

• Watchful

January 26, 2023 at 7:14 pm

Here’s an update on my condition. It has been about two months since my surgery.

I still have some hard “healing ridge” in the incision area, but it has been growing smaller gradually. Skin sensation in the area is still somewhat abnormal (some numbness and paresthesias), but that has been improving as well. I think my ilioinguinal nerve was disturbed based on all the skin sensation abnormalities, but I hope it goes back to normal with time. If I press in the incision area, there’s some pain, but, again, better than before.

I sometimes get internal groin pain with certain kinds of exertion, but it typically resolves pretty quickly when it happens.

I don’t feel any tightness or pulling or anything abnormal like that internally in the groin. It feels normal. This is a big change for me since I never had a normal groin on that side before – my hernia was congenital.

As I mentioned before, I had another issue in the groin which led to serious pain after the surgery. I’m not going into detail on that because I’m pretty sure it doesn’t apply to anyone else here. It was sorted eventually, but only after going in some wrong directions. That’s a whole story by itself.

I’m still healing, and will write another update in a month or so. I hope the remaining issues resolve completely over the next few months. If I’m lucky, maybe in a couple of months.