News Feed Discussions Dr. Kang – 1 Year update – Direct Hernia repair Reply To: Dr. Kang – 1 Year update – Direct Hernia repair

• Watchful

May 9, 2023 at 5:30 pm

Thanks for the kind words, David M. I was thorough in talking to a variety of surgeons, but I didn’t have an accurate picture of my hernia because of a grossly inaccurate ultrasound. If I had known how bad it was, I wouldn’t have pursued tissue repair. I was aware enough to avoid tissue repair on a hernia of this magnitude. No one knew, though. The only way for me to find out would have been to go to an expert in hernia imaging, and I don’t know of any in the US. Maybe Dr. Towfigh could have arranged that, but she didn’t want to pursue tissue repair in my case, so there was no opportunity for that. For mesh, it didn’t really matter.

ajm222, William – I have chronic pain and discomfort. It’s not severe, and it’s not debilitating, but it’s definitely annoying and disturbing occasionally. I’ll write more around my 6-month anniversary. There has been an improvement, but it has been extremely slow and gradual. I do expect things to improve further with time, but I’m not sure by how much.