News Feed Discussions Problems healing from open inguinal mesh repair Reply To: Problems healing from open inguinal mesh repair

• drtowfigh

February 20, 2017 at 12:22 am

Every surgeon has their own spiel regarding risks and benefits of hernia repair. Discussion about chronic pain varies based on each surgeon’s expected outcomes and experience. Trust that your surgeon did what she felt was in your best interest. Surgeons and other doctors in general want the best for their patients, including good outcomes, which is a reflection on them. So I do not want to encourage a pessimistic analysis on intentions of your surgeon. As an example, if you had nausea and vomiting after surgery, that is typically either from the anesthesia or is unrelated to your operation.

I agree that you need an evaluation of your repair. Imaging will be an important part of it. Dr Petersen is a very good option for patients like you who have had open hernia repair with mesh.

but mesh removal and revisional surgery is serious. For example, In women, there is risk of nerve injury or need for nerve being cut which my affect sensation to the labia and possibly therefore affect sexual gratification. Thus I would still encourage you get more than one consultation to understand your diagnosis, treatment options, and all risks and benefits associated with each option.