News Feed Discussions What is the long term outcome? Will it ever stop??? Reply To: What is the long term outcome? Will it ever stop???

• mamadunlop

August 11, 2017 at 5:57 am

FINALLY saw Dr. Martindale today. We had a LONG discussion along with 5 med students. 🙂 Glad I can help them learn what a chronic hernia patient experiences! He wants to go in and place a LARGE mesh basically wrapping it around my sides and down through my pubic area, anchoring it to my pubic bone. We got on the topic of what will give us the BEST longterm outcome and of course it is lower weight…. A little background, before all this happened I was working out, running, active and have since gained 50 pounds and cant exercise. Loosing weight has been super tough… along with that I am not HUGE, but not well. My BMI is 38. So, we decided that a gastric sleeve procedure would give us the best outcome. It will allow me to lose weight and then be in the best shape I can be for the big surgery that is needed. It means putting it off and living with the pain until we can do the mesh placement surgery but I am willing to do that and go through all of this if it means that the long term outlook will be better…with my current porcine mesh he believes they should be able to do the gastric sleeve laproscopically. Curious if anyone else has done weight loss surgery to better their hernia outcomes?