News Feed Discussions Researching surgeons – what questions to ask Reply To: Researching surgeons – what questions to ask

• Jnomesh

October 2, 2017 at 10:36 pm

If I can chime in a little bit. The whole topic of recurrence rate is really quite silly when you put it in context. Since mesh is still relatively new in becoming the gold standard there is no way anyone knows the recurrent rate down the line. Are they really following up with people 10, 15 , 20, 30, 40 years down the line? No way.
    So as you can see it’s really quite silly to focus on recurrence rates as the main reason to support the use of mesh. Maybe this doesn’t matter as much if you are in your 70’s or 80’s but if you are in your 20’s-50’s it sure does.
    However the more important question in my mind is does anyone really know how well mesh holds up in the human body for 30 or 50 years?
    so even if you know people who are doing well with mesh and I know them too, how will they be many many years down the line.
    the other problem is if you do get a recurrent hernia with mesh, the common paractice is to repair the hernia with more mesh with the opposite way it was inserted. So if you had it placed openly it would be repaired laparoscopically and vice Versa. What you end up having is a what is called a mesh sand which-which is disasterous if you should ever develop pain and want/need mesh removal Bc both meshes can’t be removed Bc your whole inguinal floor will be shredded. So you have to determine and guess which mesh is giving you problems.
    And when you think it about it more it is bery disconcerting that failed mesh is left inside of you.
    Hmm the mesh failed and was strong enough or good enough to hold the hernia so let’s just leave it inside you. It’s just bizarre and foolish.
    There are plenty of people who develop mesh symptoms down the road i.e. 10 years later. It can happen.
    so when you look at the totality of the issue with mesh it is just maddening that it is the gold standard with so few alternatives being offered.
    i believe from what I’ve researched that even if you just look at recurrence rates-if you look at the best most experienced surgeons doing mesh repairs and the nest most experienced surgeons doing pure tissue repairs recurrence rates would be very similar (shouldice hospital reports recurrence rates below 1%).
    but chronic pain? Way higher with mesh.
    ill say it again make your best most informed decision and then once you do please find a surgeon who this all they do-hernia repairs whether with mesh or non mesh. And is throw in find a surgeon that is an expert in removing mesh too if that’s what you decide to do. You have NO idea the ringer you will put through if something should go wrong. You will never hear-it’s the mesh!
    And good intention has hit on the head-mesh products are continually being introduced to the market. If they are so great why is this? Why are some discontinued or pulled off the market. And others are litigated against.
    i came across a post online where a lady was in so much pain from mesh and she finally found a surgeon after years of complaing of pain and every other test being performed instead of looking at the mesh. Anyways this surgeon finally said it’s the mesh and followed with “we don’t use this type of mesh anymore Bc of its bad results”
    so she had to go under another operation jus to remove the mesh Bc they have now learned it is no good. So in affect she was a guinea pig-we all are.
    do you hear about the numerous new tissue repairs that come out yearly? No.
    again if mesh were similar to a walking boot and a walking boot for foot issues turned out to be bad or faulty OK you change the walking boot by simply taking it off and trying a new one.
    if a certain type of mesh turns out to be bad you now have to have a prosecutor inside of you meant to be permanent removed surgically.