News Feed Discussions How long can inguinal hernia repair be expected to last Reply To: How long can inguinal hernia repair be expected to last

• Jnomesh

October 12, 2017 at 12:26 am

And one last thing-it is almost inevitable that you will end up with mesh put in if you have the other side explored. Most surgeons will do this Bc A) there is a good chance they will find some weakeness however great or small on the other side and just decide to repair it. You will now have mesh on both sides and some will just implant a huge piece of continuous mesh that basically wraps around you lower groin/abdomen.
    another reason there is a good chance mesh will be implanted on the other side is that when he explores the other side he has to take down a wall (as my original surgeon explained it) to gain access to the area and that intself might need some reinforcement.
    My two cents would be to hold off surgery with mesh as long as you can unless you plan on getting it repaired without mesh and then there is an argument for getting it repaired while it is small.
    There seems to be no conclusive consensus whether you truly even have a hernia.
    if you aren’t in pain I would just wait and line the earlier poster mentioned just be very conscious of the things you do.
    you need to stay away from things that cause a lot of intra abdominal pressure-like
    jumping
    chronic coughs
    excercises like squats
    constipation and straining to pass bowels
    and lay off Strenous activities like lifting etc.
    surgery should be the last resort-take a wait and see approach and slightly modify your lifestyle it may be well worth it