News Feed Discussions Surgery VS Watchful Waiting Reply To: Surgery VS Watchful Waiting

• drkang

October 18, 2017 at 1:08 am

Real watchful waiting should have strict conditions.
    That is, it should be carried out under the condition that operation would be performed if the size increases over certain level, some pain appears, the frequency of pain increases, or other discomfort occurs and so on.
    But many people are just waiting until the condition becomes very serious.
    It is not ‘watchful waiting’ but just ‘neglecting’

As you know, herniated bowel or contents could be incarcerated/strangulated though it happens rarely.
    But that is not the only problem.
    The bigger the hernia is, the more difficult the repair is.
    And the recurrence and complication after repair might also be increased.

So I think the sooner the better.
    I personally recommend you to get hernia repaired if it is bigger than a cherry even though it doesn’t hurt at all.

I understand the possible mesh complication makes many people to hesitate.
    And I know it’s difficult to find a surgeon who does tissue repair properly with low recurrence and less complication.
    That is a pitiful dillema.

But I don’t think the so-called ‘hidden hernia’ should be repaired.
    ‘Hidden hernia’ is not a real hernia as dragon is not a real animal.
    I think hidden hernia issue appeared after the inguinal hernia began to be repaired laparoscopically, because laparoscopically the operative procedures for real hernia and so called ‘hidden hernia’ are the same.
    Actually that for hidden hernia(in other word, absence of real hernia)) is much more simple.
    They just put the large mesh around inguinal area.

I hope that everyone would be able to have a hernia operation without worrying about it soon.