News Feed Discussions Researching surgeons – what questions to ask Reply To: Researching surgeons – what questions to ask

• drkang

October 30, 2017 at 4:46 am
    quote Rob:

Dr kang,

I have some more questions for you Dr Kang:

Have you submitted your surgical data results to international journals? If not why not? I think this would be one of the most valuable things you could do in promoting Gipum Hospital.

Do you use mesh for very small umbilical/epigastric hernias? I have been diagnosed by 2 surgeons who both can feel a hernia in my belly button. Its small, one surgeon recommends just stiching it, the other surgeon recommends a small piece of mesh.

Although you use tissue repair for inguinal hernias, is there any circumstance where you decide to use mesh instead for the repair of inguinal hernia?

If someone had your surgery to repair inguinal hernia and there was a recurrence later. Would laparoscopic mesh surgery or Lichtenstein open mesh surgery still be possible to treat the recurrence?

Again, if someone was to have a recurrence after your tissue repair, can you perform your method again to repair the recurrence? I take that after a recurrence the tissues would be more compromised and the hernia bigger than it was originally?

Thanks again Dr Kang,
    Rob

Hi, Rob

Yes I sometimes use small piece of Goretex cloth for umbilical hernia
    But it depends on the size of the hernia opening.
    If the opening diameter is less than 1cm, just tissue repair is done.

For inguinal hernia, I always do no-mesh tissue repair without any exception.

Even if any recurrence after my tissue repair occurs, there would be absolutely no difficulty to do laparoscopic mesh repair or Lichtenstein repair.
    Because my procedure is very less invasive and minimal, there would be little postoperative adhesion or derangement at the repair site.
    And I actually do the second tissue repair for all my recurrence cases, although rare, without any difficulty.
    I even do the tissue repair for the recurrent inguinal hernia after open or laparoscopic mesh operation, although it is quite diffiult to perform because of concommitent postoperative derangement.

In terms of the second tissue repair, Lichtenstein repair is worst and my procedure and laparoscopic mesh repair are similar.

Thank you!