Reply To: Need advice whether to have surgery or not.
Personally, if I had a small hernia that was not bothering me at all, and that a surgeon told me was low risk and thus suitable for watchful waiting, then I would likely wait. But if your hernia is painful or bothering you, or if a surgeon says it is risky, then of course consider surgery.
Aim to be comfortable with both your surgeon (or their expertise) and the procedure itself.
What symptoms do you currently experience? What procedure are you considering?
Where are you located? Perhaps someone can provide you with the name(s) of some regional hernia experts near you. It can be beneficial to get a second opinion.
Good luck, keep us updated on your decisions and progress.