News Feed Discussions Need advice whether to have surgery or not. Reply To: Need advice whether to have surgery or not.

• kevin-pa

December 4, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Thank you again everyone. I really appreciate all of the responses. What is strange is in the last few weeks the hernia has begun to bother me. Originally it was only after long days. Now I have a heaviness/pressure sensation depending on the way I stand or sit. I have a window of time from Jan-April where I am not working much as my current job is largely seasonal. It would be a good time to get the repair done.

Now comes decision time. Choosing a doctor, mesh or no mesh, lap or open, having it now vs. waiting, measuring current pain level vs. potential life changing forever chronic pain that could be much worse. I wish it was easier to decide.

It’s great that the internet has allowed us to communicate quickly, research info, and have forums like this. But it also opens up the flood gates of “what-if’s” and overwhelms your mind in terms of the amount of information. I would bet the internet has drastically increased the number of hypochondriacs on this planet.