News Feed Discussions Marcy repair in adults with Inguinal hernia. Reply To: Marcy repair in adults with Inguinal hernia.

• drkang

May 23, 2018 at 11:38 am
    quote Chaunce1234:

Sometimes Ultrasound can differentiate between direct and indirect, and femoral, but sometimes it can erroneously display one or the other, or none, they are not perfect, and I suspect operator and interpreter matters as well.

As far as I know, Marcy repairs are usually done in children and adolescents, I think it basically shrinks the entrance to the inguinal canal so as to make it too small for something to pass through it that does not belong, therefore it would work on indirect but not direct or femoral. I personally know people who had those marcy hernia repairs as children and have never had a recurrence or any other problem.

Interestingly, Dr Todd Ponsky appears to be actively involved in a study on testing this repair done laparoscopically on adult indirect hernias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsIHTlfhrM4

Comment from Dr Ponsky found in that YouTube comments says the following:

“We will soon have data from a prospective trial treating all adult in directing a hernia is with this technique and we will have a better understanding on who fails and who succeeds.”

Does your hernia hurt or bother you in another way? Is it large or small?

Hi Chaunce1234,

Before performing hernia repair, it is our principle to accurately diagnose what type of inguinal hernia it is. This is because not only is the surgical method different for each indirect inguinal hernia and direct inguinal hernia, the location of skin incision is also different. The subtype of inguinal hernia can be precisely identified by ultrasonography.
    Surgical methods for open inguinal hernia on adults is largely divided into two. It is similar to a football match where it is divided into first and second halves. For the sake of convenience, I will refer to “open indirect inguinal hernia repair for adults” as “INDIRECT HERNIA REPAIR”, and “open direct inguinal hernia repair for adults” as “DIRECT HERNIA REPAIR”.

The first half of INDIRECT HERNIA REPAIR is the step when the hernia sac is located then tied off and the stump is placed back into its preperitoneal space. This step is proceeded on every INDIRECT HERNIA REPAIR; whether it is a mesh or non-mesh repair. However, it is different in the second half. In Lichtenstein repair, the inguinal floor is completely covered by mesh sheet, and in mesh plug repair, the mesh plug is placed where the hernia sac is. In the case of tissue repair as well, the inguinal floor is reinforced each in its own method whether Bassini, McVay, Shouldice or Desarda. As such, all INDIRECT HERNIA REPAIR are composed of two sections. In DIRECT HERNIA REPAIR, there are at times when the handling of the hernia sac (first half) is not clearly carried out. But the second half, when the inguinal floor is reinforced, is always carried out.

However, inguinal hernia repair on children is certainly different from that on adults. For children, inguinal hernia is unconditionally the indirect type and surgery is completed by handling the hernia sac and simply placing it back to its preperitoneal space. This is called high ligation. The second step is unnecessary for children because in infantile hernia, the muscle break called the deep inguinal ring is too small for the hernia sac to escape in the first place.

It is unfortunate that many people are confusing high ligation with Marcy repair. Marcy repair consists of both the first and second half mentioned above. This means that in the latter half of Marcy repair, the deep inguinal ring is stitched and closed. In most textbooks, it is written that Marcy repair can only be applied on small indirect inguinal hernia; when the deep inguinal ring is very small. However, I have conducted my repair(Kang repair), which has a similar concept to that of Marcy repair, for the past 5 years on more than 3,500 patients with indirect inguinal hernia continuously with a recurrence rate of merely less than 0.5%. Among these patients, there were many who came to me due to recurred indirect inguinal hernia, and many who needed partial omentectomy during surgery due to an immense amount of omentum being incarcerated. Thus, I have applied my repair on all indirect inguinal hernia patients without exception and have found out that in contrast to existing knowledge, my repair successfully works no matter how severe the indirect inguinal hernia is.

Dr. Todd Ponsky’s laparoscopic repair is a method where the orifice of the hernia sac (peritoneum) is closed and thus, has the same surgical concept as high ligation. This method does not include the procedure of blocking the deep inguinal ring; making it completely different from Marcy repair.

In addition, I’d like to further explain. It is similar to the content of my previous posting.
    Most of the existing tissue repairs, as latter parts of the procedure, are surgeries reinforcing the posterior wall of the inguinal canal called the Hesselbach triangle. And according to the difference in the method of reinforcement, they are each called Bassini, McVay, Souldice, Desarda and more. The surgical method for reinforcing the Hesselbach triangle is the ideal surgery for direct inguinal hernia. This is because hernia that is formed as the Hesselbach triangle weakens and widens is direct inguinal hernia.
    In contrast, indirect inguinal hernia doesn’t form in the Hesselbach triangle but rather forms slightly above on the lateral where the deep inguinal ring loosens and widens for it to come out. Therefore, INDIRECT HERNIA REPAIR has to block the widened deep inguinal ring. Marcy repair is a method that carries out this concept. However, as there are several surgical methods according to the difference in the method of reinforcement of the Hesselbach triangle, there can be many ways in blocking the deep inguinal ring. Marcy repair is one method, and my repair method is another of them. And my surgical mehod for a direct inguinal hernia is similar to Shouldice repair; except it has been very simplified.