News Feed Discussions Is hernia mesh as scary as the internet makes it sound? Is hernia mesh as scary as the internet makes it sound?

• Is hernia mesh as scary as the internet makes it sound?

Dr. Towfigh,

I did not know you did the Shouldice repair for an inguinal hernia. I would consider this type of repair for my inguinal hernia.

quote :

Is hernia mesh as scary as the internet makes it sound? Are complications as common as they seem? The majority of discussion online around hernia mesh is quite negative, as I’m sure many patients and doctors are aware, but that is not particularly reassuring when you’re a potential patient. My doctor told me not to google it, but it’s hard not to! At the same time, there are seemingly no surgeons outside of Shouldice and a private clinic or two on the east coast who perform a ‘pure tissue’ repair anymore, why is that?

I realize happy people likely don’t get on the internet and rave about positive or uneventful experiences with surgery, so what’s the real story about hernia mesh?

Any comments from patients, surgeons, health care providers would be very welcome! Thanks!