News Feed Discussions 5 years of pain from hernia mesh

• 5 years of pain from hernia mesh

Posted by tdkelley1 on September 21, 2017 at 7:36 pm

I have been in pain for 5 years from my original hernia mesh surgery. I am just now learning about the mesh complications. I am wondering if 5 years is too long to have the mesh removed? Also, doctor recommendations would be helpful.

tdkelley1 replied 6 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • tdkelley1

October 2, 2017 at 1:01 pm

OK, I will try Dr. Belyanski since I am in Baltimore.

• tdkelley1

September 29, 2017 at 6:39 pm

I got the MRI results. Not sure how I should send them. They are on CD and rather large. Just let me know.

• drtowfigh

September 23, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Happy to be of help. There are multiple reasons for pain after hernia repair. Mesh is only one of them.

Never too late to get better.

• Jnomesh

September 22, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Hi. As I mentioned earlier Dr. Igor Belyanski (Annapolis Maryland) and Shirin Towfigh (LA)
    are the only two I know of. Maybe dr. Bruce Ramshaw in Tennessee. If you google them all them tjere contsct info will pop up.

• tdkelley1

September 22, 2017 at 1:46 pm

well any names or addresses or contact numbers of doctors that can read the MRI for mesh problems would be helpful.

• Jnomesh

September 22, 2017 at 2:15 am

Yeah I think that is a start. I know that I was able to send my docs to Belyanski and he reviewed them with no charge. Not sure if there is a fee for the other surgeons. You’ll have to assess the pros and cons of who you send them to.

• tdkelley1

September 21, 2017 at 9:28 pm

I have already had an MRI and CAT scan. Perhaps I can get a hold of them and get them to Dr. Towfigh?

• Jnomesh

September 21, 2017 at 8:37 pm

I had mine in for 6 years and had it removed 6 weeks ago. Your best bet is to have an MRI and a cat scan and send it off to a surgeon who knows how to read these scan as they relate to mesh and see if there are any issues with the mesh. Dr. Igor Belyanski was able to see in my cat scan that the mesh was defective. Two local surgeons in Ny said everything was fine when they read the cat scans and MRI’s.
    dr. Towfigh also has mentioned that she is able to read these scans as they pertain to mesh.
    so in my opinion step one get these tests read by experts to rule out that something is wrong with the actual mesh-them you can go from there. It will also be helpful to now if your mesh was implanted laparoscopically or open.