News Feed Discussions 6 hernia surgeries…. 6 months post op..new pain

• 6 hernia surgeries…. 6 months post op..new pain

Posted by mamadunlop on June 11, 2017 at 3:16 am

This past December I had my 6th surgery. An abdominal wall reconstruction to remove all my mesh, repair a new hernia and reconstruct my abdomen since my muscles had detached and I was a mess. I was in the hospital from 5 days and was recovering for at least 6 weeks. I have been feeling much better than before surgery, but now 6 months later I have a new lump, new pain, exactly like all my other hernias. Is this really going to be happening Again? Can my abdomen handle another hernia surgery and will I ever have more than a year go by without a new One? I honestly want to know if it can ever stop? I want to hear from others that have had more than 4 surgeries. I had a new surgeon I trust for the last two. He is highly respected, he is not the issue. I am a fun loving 43 year old kid at heart that is not ready to feel as old as my body feels!!

mamadunlop replied 6 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • mamadunlop

August 11, 2017 at 6:22 am

yep, just commented on my other post, but that is precisely what we are going to do. Gastric sleeve to get the weight down, and then will do a big repair of the new hernias next year….. until then I will deal with the pain….I am ok with this as I will do anything to get the chance of reoccurance down!

• drtowfigh

July 4, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Sounds like a hernia recurrence, which is expected if pure biologic tissue is used, especially for flank hernias.

I would recommend against any further operation until you have lost a significant amount of weight. A physician-supervised diet would be my first recommendation. You may even want to consider surgical weight loss.

• mamadunlop

June 11, 2017 at 4:43 pm

No, I now have a biological patch…. basically from hip to hip and groin to belly button…. one big pig skin. It was a very difficult repair, and my left side is always what has given me trouble, though I have had them on my right as well. The new one is in the same spot on my left that has given me a lot of trouble, it is pretty far over to the side, so it is hard to repair. I guess I am just frustrated more than anything….. I am overweight, and know that I need to lose weight (5’3″ 220 pounds) but not being able to exercise really puts a damper on that…and honestly, when you are in and out of recovery or in pain, it is very hard mentally to get on top of that. I soooo want to. But I also know that is not a magic fix either. I am sure genetically there must be a reason. This all started with a hysterectomy 8 years ago that gave me my first incisional hernia. I feel like I am made of swiss cheese 🙂

• drtowfigh

June 11, 2017 at 4:57 am

Sorry to hear that. Was new mesh placed this last time?