News Feed Discussions 6th Right Inguinal Hernia

• 6th Right Inguinal Hernia

Posted by WVRap on January 30, 2016 at 12:46 am

I had a right Inguinal hernia repaired one Dec 4th by Dr Goodyear. It was my 5th surgery on the same side, one lap and four open, Well about 4 days ago I had the bright idea to shovel some snow. Bad idea!!! I have all the symptoms of yet another hernia. I felt really great after my surgery and was very happy with Dr Goodyear. my questions is should I go back for another open procedure or look into lap for the 2nd time?

WVRap replied 7 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • drtowfigh

January 8, 2017 at 5:44 pm

6th Right Inguinal Hernia

That discussion should be with your surgeon. The choice to remove hernia mesh is very much tailored to each patient’s specific needs. I typically remove mesh for pain or infection reasons. Recurrent hernias may need mesh removal only if it’s a redo redo. Otherwise if it’s a failure of a laparoscopic hernia, then an open repair is indicated the second time usually. If there is yet another recurrence and lap/robotic is chosen, then sometimes that mesh may need to be removed.

• WVRap

January 8, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Thank you both very much. I plan on getting and second opinion and will see what Dr Belyansky thinks. I do have a questions. If I do have a hernia and robotic surgery is performed does the mesh that is already there need to be removed?

Thanks

• drtowfigh

January 6, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Agreed! Dr. Belyansky is super talented for robotic surgery and nerve-related hernia complications. In Anapolis, MD.

• marcello71

January 6, 2017 at 4:10 am

If things don’t improve & your near Baltimore, you could look into Dr Adrian Park or Dr Igor Belyansky at Ann Arundel Med Center. Belyansky’s abilities with the robot are very impressive as is evident here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8olKGLAkmN4

He removes an entire flat laparoscopic inguinal mesh in one piece with no vascular or nerve injuries. His meticulous dissection along the mesh/tissue interface is what yields such results…

Btw I hope it’s ok that I posted the vid link.

• WVRap

December 17, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Family Doc did not feel a hernia, Had CT scan done on 11/22 the report said the following. Impression- Small right inguinal hernia. There appears to be a small amount of scar tissue within the hernia. Narrative read-There is a small right inguinal hernia which contains fat. There is part of the distal ileum, which extends minimally into the hernia. There is some scar tissue in the are as well. The patient has had pervious ventral hernia repair (I’ve never had a ventral hernia only inguinal).

Went back to Dr G last week. He checked me out and could not feel a hernia. He feels that doing something now would probably do more harm the good. Suggest that we wait and see and to let him know if anything changes. I do feel better today than I did 60 days ago or even 30 days ago. But still have something going on down there,

Thanks

• WVRap

November 28, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Albany sounds real cold this time of the year. Maybe this will help. I am about one hour outside of the Baltimore/ Washington area. Also don’t mind going south (Warmer weather in January). Thank you both for your help

• sngoldstein

November 28, 2016 at 9:20 pm

The East coast is big. I am in Albany NY and would be glad to see you. Brian in NYC and Eric in PA can are also excellent but there is most likely a good lap/robotic hernia surgeon in every city. I’m sure we can steer you in the right direction.

• drtowfigh

November 28, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Plenty of excellent laparoscopic surgeons on the East Coast. What you really need is a surgeon comfortable to go in laparoscopically or robotically for a second time.

I recommend Dr. Brian Jacob in NY.
    Also, consider Dr. Eric Pauli in Hershey.

• WVRap

November 24, 2016 at 10:40 pm

I carried something up some stairs about 8 weeks ago weighed about 60 lbs. To make a long story short I have another small right inguinal hernia. Have an appointment to see surgeon that did last my last repair (Dr Goodyear) but don’t think he can go back in. Any suggestions for surgeons that can perform a second Lap procedure on the east coast?

• drtowfigh

February 9, 2016 at 5:54 am

Okay, well this makes a bit more sense.
    I agree with Dr. Goodyear’s plan. He is truly a wonderful surgeon.
    Did he remove some of your plug before patching the recurrence? I am just curious.
    Anyway, give it some time. You could have pulled something, but that will heal.
    If you need yet another operation, I would consider a laparoscopic or robotic-asssited repair with mesh.

• Chaunce1234

February 7, 2016 at 4:24 am

Glad you’re feeling better. Understandably you’re a bit concerned over any sense there may be another hernia. Maybe it’s time to get a snow blower.

• WVRap

February 6, 2016 at 2:00 pm

First of all thanks for the advice. It’s been a little over a week since my symptoms started and I’m happy to say that everything is felling normal again. On to my Hernia history.

Hernia one
    Inguinal- both sides
    General surgeon
    Open Surgery
    No Mesh

Hernia two (about 10 years later)
    Same as above

Hernia Three
    Inguinal- both side
    Lap
    General surgeon
    mesh placed
    Left side has been good
    Right side lasted about one month

Hernia four
    Inguinal-right side
    open- plug and patch
    general surgeon
    lasted about 3 years

Hernia five
    Inguinal right side
    open -Patched

This time I went Dr James Goodyear at the Penn Hernia Institute. Surgery lasted about an hour and a half he cleaned everything for the prior procedures and fixed my latest. Within a week I could feel a big difference. I would highly recommend him.

Thanks Again

• drtowfigh

February 1, 2016 at 5:16 am

I’m interested to know how many and what types of hernias you had performed and with what techniques. 5 operations is a lot!

And I agree with my esteemed colleagues, Drs. Earle and Goldstein:
    Let it heal. You probably just pulled something. It is not going to be late to diagnose a recurrence. If the pain persists after several weeks of rest, local and topical treatment, then you can consider an MRI pelvis. But give your body some rest! Sounds like you’ve been through a lot.

• sngoldstein

January 31, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Dr. Earle is 100% correct. Unless there is a bulge, you are more likely to have strained something. There are very large muscles attached to relatively small bones in the groin and it is a common area for pain. Try ice and antiinflammatories. Keep moving without overexertion and realize that this may take several months to resolve.

• Chaunce1234

January 31, 2016 at 1:38 pm

You may not have another hernia. There could be a muscle strain, or a small tear from one of the sutures. You could try treating as such with ice, rest, and Myoflex cream or Aspercreme. If it doesn’t get better, you’ll need a physical exam to start. Best by your surgeon. Hope this helps!