News Feed Discussions Advice needed!

• Advice needed!

Posted by snydemeg on August 21, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I have had chronic constipation, bloating my entire life, but in February 2014 I developed visible blood in my urine and sx typical of UTI or cystitis (frequency, bladder pressure, burning, pins and needles pain in genital area) after a day of lifting heaving hay bales. I have been seeing an urologist since for these flares that last 7-10 days typically. I have MRI, ultrasounds of pelvic region and 2 cystoscopies. She has ruled out an urinary issues. Next step is she wants me to see GI. I have been doing a lot of research because the pelvic pain is debilitating. It is worse with straining for bowel movements (my constipation has gotten worse), sitting, sex, anything that causes abdominal pressure. My stomach is often hard, rigid to touch. I have tried pelvic floor therapy with no relief. The pain seems to stard midline between umbilicus and pubic bone, but it is hard to tell because it radiates throughout entire abdomen, pelvic region, into bilateral inner thighs, labia. It is a burning, pulling, tugging sensation. I told an ER doc once that it felt like someone was trying to rip me apart from the inside. I have daily nausea as well. I feel I a hernia definitely could be the cause of my pain due to my hx of constipation and heavy lifting. I live in WA state and have been unable to find a physcian that will even look into this possible cause with me. Do you have any suggestions for physicians in WA state the could evaluate me further for my pain ??

Chaunce1234 replied 8 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • drtowfigh

August 22, 2015 at 6:20 am

Advice needed!

In Washington state, try Dr Andrew Wright at the University of Washington. Tell him you were referred from HerniaTalk.com. He’s a very smart surgeon.

Occult hernias in women present atypically: pain several fingerbreadths above the groin crease, pulling or tugging, radiates down leg, into vagina, into labia, upper inner thigh, around the back, up to the umbilicus. Associated with bloating. Worse with abdominal pressure increases such as straining for bowel movements. I often hear the pain lingers after the bowel movement. Pain with sex.

The urinary frequency may be related to pelvic floor spasm due to inguinal hernia. Pelvic floor physical therapy causes more pain.

• Chaunce1234

August 21, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Advice needed!

Sounds awful. I’m sorry you are going through this. You are probably a candidate for a diagnostic laparoscopy if the symptoms are that severe, and there is no clear cut diagnosis or successful treatment. I doubt it is a hernia, but it may be worth a look. A combined approach with Gyn and a general surgeon may be best. You can find surgeons interested in hernia disease at the Americas Hernia Society website. Hope this helps!