News Feed Discussions Advice sought for Dx of Inguinal Hernia

• Advice sought for Dx of Inguinal Hernia

Posted by Unknown Member on March 27, 2020 at 1:53 pm

Hey team,

I have signs/symptoms that don’t fit usual mould for inguinal hernia, although I suspect this. I first noticed pain in the inguinal region with sex (I am male) which builds up as I come closer to orgasm and is worst at orgasm. It is more of a pressure pain (not sharp or stabbing) and I first thought I may have inflamed inguinal lymph nodes and that the increased blood pressure with erection has been causing the issue. The thing is I don’t get pain with any other activity/movement. I am currently travelling, and snow skiing for feb-march and it would not hurt even with skiing. I do have some dull diffuse pain in the area and my lower abdominal area is sore on palpation (and definitely any that point you decsribed 60:40 ASIS->PS) but no bulge is palpable (I am tall and skinny). I have a history of gut issues and wondered if perhaps my change of diet (lots of gluten and cheese) while travelling in Europe may have inflamed the lymph and it is not a hernia.

Could it be possible to have hernia when the pain is only really during sex (other than general tenderness)

I have been unable to find any clear answers presently and the COVID-19 situation has made it more difficult.

I appreciate any feedback with this, thank you for all your good work.

Regards,

Adam

DrBrown replied 4 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • DrBrown

March 31, 2020 at 10:15 am

@adamrussell
    Dear Adam.
    When the virus problem settles down, see your doctor. Usually, a careful physical examination can determine whether or not you have a hernia.
    A standing ultrasound with valsalva is the best imaging test.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD