News Feed Discussions All Meshed Up – A Story of Deception, Tragedy, and Hope

• lukeyamaguchi

May 24, 2018 at 8:28 am

Chaunce, pain is not a problem for me at present. For my health-related symptoms, I recently started taking Thorne NAC (N-Acetyle Cysteine) for liver support, anti-oxidant support (since mesh increases oxidative stress), and for biofilm disruption. NAC has been shown to inhibit/eradicate both bacterial and candida biofilms (see attachment #1). I noticed I definitely felt better taking the NAC. I also just recently started taking undecenoic acid (Thorne SF722) as an anti-fungal (see attachment #2). My rational for this was that I had taken many rounds of antibiotics before my hernia mesh operation, which would lend itself to a fungal overgrowth, and according to this study (attachment #3), “Candida spp. possess ability to form biofilm on most, if not all, medical devices.” So, the undecenoic acid supplement as an anti-fungal and the NAC for biofilm disruption. I also throw in a probiotic (GutPro) and a binder to help with detoxification (currently Pectasol-C, but could be clay, charcoal, etc.). Time will tell how it turns out, but so far I am feeling better than before. The supplements I mentioned above are all available at a decent price through my website (gutresolution.com). That said, I want to caution that just because something seems to be helping me doesn’t mean that it will necessarily work for someone else, but since you asked I thought to share. I would be curious to know, if taking any of these supplements is helpful or not for others.

Attachments:

• Chaunce1234

May 24, 2018 at 3:07 am
    quote lukeyamaguchi:

I did not have a hernia repair after mesh removal. So I still have a small hernia, but it isn’t causing me any problems at the moment. Maybe thanks to the mesh/scar tissue still inside my body.

Have you found anything in particular to be helpful for relieving your remaining symptoms, whatever they are? Many patients on this forum and elsewhere struggle with chronic pain or side effects from procedures, and any direct knowledge can be helpful to others even if it is anecdotal.

• lukeyamaguchi

May 22, 2018 at 9:12 am

I did not have a hernia repair after mesh removal. So I still have a small hernia, but it isn’t causing me any problems at the moment. Maybe thanks to the mesh/scar tissue still inside my body.

• Chaunce1234

May 22, 2018 at 2:20 am

I’m sorry to hear you still have some health problems, but any improvement is good I suppose. If you are still suffering with pain/discomfort you may want to explore some alternative treatments. If you’re in Seattle, you may even try some of the medical marijuana solutions, as some people report positive experiences with GI issues as well as pain. Just something to consider, but given how well you research things I assume you’ve already explored the gamut.

I find it to be a terrible trend that medical schools are not teaching no-mesh repair to new students. I am strongly of the opinion that all medical students should know how to successfully repair a hernia without mesh, as well as with mesh (simpler the better, Lichtenstein probably), and know when/why to use either procedure per patient.

Did you have another hernia repair along with the mesh removal procedure? Or was your hernia not visible after mesh removal?

• lukeyamaguchi

May 22, 2018 at 1:52 am

Mesh manufacturers sell surgeons on mesh, who then sell patients on mesh. People tend to believe the “experts” and when surgeons say things like: “Mesh is the gold standard”, “mesh is inert”, “our goal is you won’t even remember having had this surgery a year from now”, etc. it’s hard not to believe them, unless you go out and do your own research. But who has time for that (aside from people who have been hurt by mesh)? Dr. Ben Lynch (a Naturopathic Doctor, researcher and author) posted in a FB post that he almost followed his surgeon’s advice to have his hernia repaired with mesh. Then he “researched harder” (he is a researcher in the health field after all) and ended up going to Shouldice for his repair. Also, surgeons are not being taught how to do non-mesh hernia repair anymore. So that makes it difficult to meet the demand, even if it were there.

To answer some of your questions: I had an indirect inguinal hernia. Did not have a neurectomy. Removal was done by Dr. Billing, north of Seattle. Other symptoms improved somewhat after surgery, but I still have health problems.

• Chaunce1234

May 22, 2018 at 12:58 am

Thanks for sharing. These stories are important to share, and I think you make a lot of great points.

Do you mind sharing a few additional details on you case?

– Were you in pain prior to surgery?

– Was your original hernia a direct or indirect, both?

– Did your pain change or improve after surgery?

– Did you have a neurectomy?

– Did other symptoms change or improve after surgery?

– Who did your mesh removal surgery?

I find it interesting but troubling that looking back you and many others say “I wish I had went to Shouldice”. Given the interest in no-mesh hernia repair in the USA I am continuously surprised there are no similar clinics in the USA that specialize in hernias only, mostly no-mesh repair, in a similar manner as Shouldice. One would think the market would meet the demand, but instead the market appears captivated by medical devices and medical products.

• lukeyamaguchi

May 21, 2018 at 10:52 pm

Thank you for your feedback. Agreed! When Chevron has to stop you for an ethics violation, you know you have crossed a line!

I don’t think the medical device manufacturing companies have missed this point. Rather it is a line item on their budgets. In other words, even if they lose some money to lawsuits due to mesh complications, they will still turn a big enough profit for it to be worthwhile for them. They likely did the math, crunched the numbers, and realize at the end of the day they will still turn a huge profit.

• UhOh!

May 21, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Nice, looks well-written and, more importantly, well-researched.

Very interesting information about Chevron for two reasons:

1. When the oil industry takes a more morally-defensible position than the medical industry, you know there’s a big problem…

2. Because the oil industry never takes a morally-defensible position for altruistic purposes, meaning the scientists and lawyers at Chevron clearly saw potential liability that the medical industry seemingly missed.