News Feed Discussions Autoimmune Watch wait or fix

• Autoimmune Watch wait or fix

Posted by goldenmsc on May 1, 2016 at 5:01 am

Im one with pre existing autoimmune disorder.
    Neurologist advised completely against any mesh cause more problems.
    Very small minimally symptomatic if any right inguinal hernia.
    Oversew method only one advises for me; with that method permanent stiffness, loss of function, pain , high reoccurrence?
    Finding a surgeon in Northern Illinois for this very difficult. Chicago area or WI would do.
    Fixing hernia when small is best; only get bigger with time but with my autoimmune problem and hard time finding a surgeon best to wait and watch wear a truss hope it doesn’t progress or get it fixed somewhere?
    No easy answer.

Chaunce123 replied 7 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • drtowfigh

May 15, 2016 at 4:52 am

Autoimmune Watch wait or fix

I disagree with the statement that tissue repair causes stiffness and loss of function.

It is not well documented at all that autoimmune disorders cause worse mesh reaction. I’ve seen it in my practice and I’ve researched the phenomenon, do I have a special interest in it. Read my chapter on it in the SAGES Manual of Groin Pain. I’m compiling my own data and perhaps the AHSQC database will be able to answer this question one day.

Pain from mesh is not a mesh rejection.

Polypropylene suture repair is different than polypropylene mesh implantation.

It’s not an immune system issue. It’s these diseases’ propensity toward heightened inflammatory response.

• Chaunce123

May 14, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Is this a documented phenomena that patients with autoimmune issues have mesh rejection? Is that for all autoimmune disorders or very specific ones?

You’re located in the midwest it sounds like which makes you fairly close to two well known hernia tissue repair clinics that are commonly mentioned on the forums:

Dr Grischkan in Ohio, who does a tissue repair or a Gore-Tex repair

Shouldice Clinic in Toronto, which almost exclusively does a tissue repair

Personally if I had the choice and was in that general area I would go to Shouldice in Canada, they are a well oiled machine, their success rates are impressively high and it’s rare to hear a complaint. Though I am not a doctor, so what do I know?

• sandiego

May 8, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Sorry I dont have answers . I also have an auto immune disease but can only offer you my Dads experience……who has both RA and Celiac,both auto immune diseases.

First hernia no mesh repair failed after a couple years. Had a mesh repair and has been fine. Its been over 10 years now.

• goldenmsc

May 8, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Pondering my options here.
    The older suture technique produces permanent stiffness(is the Shouldice technique tension free?), loss of function?, pain and higher reoccurrence. The suture material could also be a source of rejection in a preexisting autoimmune patient.
    Mesh material high probability of potential rejection in pre – existing autoimmune patient. Although it would appear the lighter weight mesh would cause less inflammatory response.
    Bewdildering decision.

On trying to minimize symptoms core strengthening was suggested what excersizes would they be?

Thx.

• goldenmsc

May 2, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Thanks for that post.
    I hadn’t thought about the immune system rejecting or reacting to permanent sutures.
    If it does how on earth would you get them out?
    Are they all polypropylene?

• DrEarle

May 2, 2016 at 2:20 am

Goldenmsc – mesh repair has a lower risk of chronic pain, and lower recurrence rate compared to non-mesh repair. I wonder if your neurologist has any experience or data to back up he recommendation of a non-mesh repair, particularly because the sutures used for non-mesh repair are made from similar material. Jake Greenberg and Carla Pugh in Madison, WI can give you a more thorough evaluation. You could also try Eric Hungness or Nathaniel Soper in Chicago. Hope this helps!

• goldenmsc

May 1, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Anyone know if Dr. Ujiki NE IL does tissue repairs?