News Feed Discussions Belly/groin swelling after surgery

• Belly/groin swelling after surgery

Posted by D on August 21, 2020 at 9:55 am

Nine days out from right inguinal non-mesh surgery now. There’s minimal pain but the belly swelling is just so big, I’m starting to be somewhat concerned. Feels like there’s a banana under my belly skin, which is mostly dark yellow but also some additional bruising. Also still some right groin swelling, which went down a bit but has stayed steady the last few days.
    I know swelling can take weeks to subside. Is that large of a belly swelling normal, though? No chance of a clot or anything?

DrBrown replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • DrBrown

September 15, 2020 at 3:38 pm

The egg swelling is probably a hematoma or a seroma.
    It should resolve with time, but return to see your surgeon.
    The incision can be reopened to remove the blood. Sometimes aspiration will solve the problem.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• D

September 4, 2020 at 11:03 am

The healing ridge is the pencil width bump under the incision, no? That’s not bothering me. It’s the large egg swelling in the inguinal cavity right where the hernia used to be… but I understand from the literature this is likely a normal seroma and I just have to wait it out.

• DrBrown

September 2, 2020 at 11:16 am

The healing ridge will last about 6 weeks.
    Be patient.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• D

August 28, 2020 at 2:12 pm

A week later, belly swelling is almost gone. Groin swelling a bit smaller, but continues, which makes sense, as gravity would dictate excess fluid goes there, per my surgeon and the Internet. Still curious how long swelling has lasted for other recoveries!