News Feed Discussions best exercises and ones to avoid after surgery

• best exercises and ones to avoid after surgery

Posted by georgeinVA on June 28, 2015 at 1:37 pm

My first post, but i have been reading the forum for awhile and it certainly helped getting ready for surgery and understanding risks and options. Many thanks to all who have posted here.

I am now 10 weeks post op, Desarda, and am ready for more aggressive recovery exercises, I have been walking everyday since the day of surgery probably around 5 miles a day spread over a couple/three walks. Healing ridge much diminished, still gets sore when I push to hard or lift heavier items.

My old exercise was rowing machine and taichi. I am fearful of the rowing and have read a few negative reports on the web about starting back to soon, so i put rowing on hold for a few more months. So my question is what to do that will promote healing, get me back in shape and not hurt the repair. I am thinking bicycle and swimming, neither are my favorites. Also thinking about yoga and/or pilates for stretch and strengthen. I restarted taichi about 3 weeks after surgery.

Any real world experience with these exercises or others of more value would be greatly appreciated.

george … ps if i can be of help in anyway please just ask … thanks again

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • drtowfigh

September 21, 2017 at 3:33 pm

In general, almost all abdominal exercises, including crunches, are considered safe. We don’t have enough studies to look at every single type of exercise, but situps have been studied, and there is no major increase in abdominal pressure.

• saro

September 2, 2017 at 9:19 am

Goodmorning everyone.
    sorry if I insist on many questions
    Our leader has indicated pilates among the hernia recommended exercises

I’ve been trying on the web but I’m really afraid I might be wrong to do exercises that sometimes are even in contrast to the same principles as pilates discipline
    there is a lot of confusion and appraisal on the web.
    I ask you for a series of ‘safe’ exercises
    thank for understanding

• saro

August 28, 2017 at 10:02 am

Hi drtowfigh I would like to know if the crunches (Pushing the knee toward the arm) and the “Raised bridge” (In yoga discipline it is called Uttana Sethubandha Asana ) can be “recommended” exercises or “not recommended” ?

• saro

August 24, 2017 at 3:17 pm

I would like to know if the crunches (Pushing the knee toward the arm), uprightare “recommended” or “not recommended” exercises I have run out today and I have been feeling uneasy after exercise Maybe increase the abdominal pressure?

Attachments:

• georgeinVA

August 8, 2017 at 12:21 am

Raindrop, sorry to take so long to answer your note, don’t really monitor this, dr Towfigh gave me a nudge. Surgery was performed by dr Tomas in ft Myers fla, he is the leader in the us performing hernia repair using the desarda technique, others do the procedure but he is well over a 1000, haven’t checked recently. I wanted to avoid mesh but didn’t like the recurrence odds of most tissue repairs, I eventually found the desarda repair. After 2 years I imagine I am at a stable point. The vast majority of the time I don’t even think about the procedure or the worry that proceeded it. Under normal routine no pain, if I push to hard I get a reminder, some serious temporary pain in the incision area, pulling on scar tissue I’m sure. Recently had to move a little over a ton of rocks via wheelbarrow, deserved the pain I got. Doesn’t seem much different from other guys I have spoken with, of course the younger ones do better, I’m 72. Would do it again in a heartbeat, maybe someday they will invent a mesh I would trust but not currently, I know to many bad stories. Anything specific you would like to know I will try to check in here more frequently. Regards … george

• saro

July 11, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Thank you for contributing to your knowledge. My simple question to everyone is whether the difficulty of postoperative surgery is less than the preoperative. And try to understand the percentage incidence of post-operative suffering, even though it is difficult for a patient to be affected, since sometimes repair is required for increased size of hernia

• raindrop

June 8, 2017 at 4:18 pm

George, I don’t know if you check this anymore, but if so, who did your repair and how are you doing now?

• DrBachman

August 2, 2015 at 7:29 pm

best exercises and ones to avoid after surgery

George,

I have had good experiences referring patients to a physical therapist for abdominal wall/core/groin strengthening after hernia repairs. After 8-12 weeks of healing, a structured strengthening program under professional supervision can be very helpful. It can give you confidence to restart some of those more strenuous activities after being sure you are strong enough. Your surgeon should be able to provide you a referreral to a PT.

Good Luck!
    SB

• drtowfigh

August 1, 2015 at 11:35 pm

best exercises and ones to avoid after surgery

I can’t say that I know much about Desarsda-specific recommendations in terms of postoperative recovery and exercises. If anyone has any experience performing the Desarda technique and has a routine for their patients, ease share.

It seems to me the technique is a very specific and tenuous tissue repair technique so I would err on the side of caution. Do not perform any rapid movements, fast changes in direction, or activities that increase abdominal pressure. I do not recommend jumping activities, Crossfit type exercises, hiking (especially downhill), squats. Pilates and Yoga are excellent core strengthening exercises and I recommend it for my patients. They usually do not involve any activities that strain the groin or increase abdominal pressure. Most tolerate Pilates more than Yoga. Cycling is also good.

I would ask your surgeon if he/she has any specific recommendations. And please share with us.