News Feed Discussions BMJ: "How mesh became a four letter word" (vaginal mesh, but…)

• BMJ: "How mesh became a four letter word" (vaginal mesh, but…)

Posted by Chaunce1234 on October 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm

[h=1]”How [vaginal] mesh became a four letter word”[/h] https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k4137

“When it was introduced in 1998 as a novel surgical treatment for stress urinary incontinence, the polypropylene mesh sling was hailed as a quick and easy remedy for women and eagerly adopted by surgeons. Twenty years later, amid claims that it has left many thousands of women around the world irreversibly harmed, mesh is at the centre of a storm of protest that has launched tens of thousands of compensation claims, divided the medical profession, exposed major flaws in regulatory procedures, and raised serious questions about the financial relations between clinicians and researchers and the manufacturers of devices that outraged campaigners say are not fit for purpose.”

This is from a recent article in the British Medical Journal about vaginal mesh…. it’s hard not to read and think of how similar it all sounds to hernia mesh. A “quick” product to make for an “easy” surgery, that ultimately works fine for some people but causes serious problems for others, with all sorts of fallout and conflicts…

Anyway, I stumbled into this and thought it might be an interesting read and discussion item.

Chaunce1234 replied 5 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Chaunce1234

October 25, 2018 at 9:37 pm
    quote mamadunlop:

Have you seen the documentary on Netflix called “The Bleeding Edge” If I had only known 7 years ago, what I know now. I am always wanting to find a way to get a story out to the news or the papers… it is so unkown and untalked about. You never see a news story about the dark side of hernia repairs….

[USER=”1593″]mamadunlop[/USER] I have not seen that documentary yet but thanks for the recommendation, I will put it on my watch list.

I did recently hear a disturbing podcast called “Dr Death” about a spinal surgeon which is an absolute horror show and really exposes some of the many serious flaws in the US medical system. I am not sure if I would ‘recommend’ the podcast, but it’s certainly eye-opening and disturbing… hopefully these kind of shows and productions will lead to some positive change where it is needed.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/…h/id1421573955

• mamadunlop

October 22, 2018 at 10:27 pm

Have you seen the documentary on Netflix called “The Bleeding Edge” If I had only known 7 years ago, what I know now. I am always wanting to find a way to get a story out to the news or the papers… it is so unkown and untalked about. You never see a news story about the dark side of hernia repairs….