News Feed Discussions Burning pain 10 days post op robotic inguinal mesh repair

• Burning pain 10 days post op robotic inguinal mesh repair

Posted by Ryan shook on March 22, 2020 at 7:00 am

I am 6’3 210 lbs active 45 year old. Biking, weightlifting, golf, and hiking. I elected to repair left side inguinal hernia due to pain during moderated activity. The day of surgery about 7 hours post op I had a large knot swell up at the mesh site with extreme pain, the same hernia type pain as before the surgery. I called the surgeon and she had me come in for a ct scan and examination. After she reviewed it was a hematoma but I was released, while all this went on the pain subsided and the swelling went down. 5 days later the swelling returned along with the pain. I’m now 10 days post op, the swelling has returned and experiencing extreme burning type pain when I am up moving around at all. I can lay or sit with minimal discomfort but standing is excruciating after a few minutes. I am an engineer and supposed to return to work tomorrow and also have my first follow via virtual appointment at 10am due to covid 19. Is this normal? Should I be trying to fight though the pain and walk even though the pain is awful. I’m only taking ibuprofen and Tylenol currently.
    Thank you for any advice

Ryan shook replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Ryan shook

March 30, 2020 at 3:23 pm

It’s been 8 days since my post, a couple days after it was like a switch flipped it off. Sunday was basically pain free, Monday and Tuesday had mild pain after working. Wednesday I had to take the day off and have pretty much been pain free with exception of a slight pull feeling here and there. I think the worst is over now and am looking forward to getting back to some normalcy in a few more weeks.
    Thanks
    Ryan

• DrBrown

March 25, 2020 at 7:44 pm

@rsshook
    Your pain should be slowly improving each day.
    Contact your surgeon. If the hematoma has recurred, then it should be drained.
    If you have a nerve entrapment, then a nerve block will be helpful.
    If the spermatic cord is stuck to the mesh, then a cord block may be helpful.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• Alephy

March 22, 2020 at 8:30 am

Which mesh type? This question is the first one you will be asked here by those who know the most…so before surgery you had severe pain? Btw if I am not mistaken because of the Corona virus ibuprofen could cause you problems, maybe change to paracetamol