Burning pain 10 days post op robotic inguinal mesh repair

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion Burning pain 10 days post op robotic inguinal mesh repair

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ryan shook
      Participant

I am 6’3 210 lbs active 45 year old. Biking, weightlifting, golf, and hiking. I elected to repair left side inguinal hernia due to pain during moderated activity. The day of surgery about 7 hours post op I had a large knot swell up at the mesh site with extreme pain, the same hernia type pain as before the surgery. I called the surgeon and she had me come in for a ct scan and examination. After she reviewed it was a hematoma but I was released, while all this went on the pain subsided and the swelling went down. 5 days later the swelling returned along with the pain. I’m now 10 days post op, the swelling has returned and experiencing extreme burning type pain when I am up moving around at all. I can lay or sit with minimal discomfort but standing is excruciating after a few minutes. I am an engineer and supposed to return to work tomorrow and also have my first follow via virtual appointment at 10am due to covid 19. Is this normal? Should I be trying to fight though the pain and walk even though the pain is awful. I’m only taking ibuprofen and Tylenol currently.
      Thank you for any advice

Alephy
      Participant

Which mesh type? This question is the first one you will be asked here by those who know the most…so before surgery you had severe pain? Btw if I am not mistaken because of the Corona virus ibuprofen could cause you problems, maybe change to paracetamol

DrBrown
      Participant

@rsshook
      Your pain should be slowly improving each day.
      Contact your surgeon. If the hematoma has recurred, then it should be drained.
      If you have a nerve entrapment, then a nerve block will be helpful.
      If the spermatic cord is stuck to the mesh, then a cord block may be helpful.
      Regards.
      Bill Brown MD

Ryan shook
      Participant

It’s been 8 days since my post, a couple days after it was like a switch flipped it off. Sunday was basically pain free, Monday and Tuesday had mild pain after working. Wednesday I had to take the day off and have pretty much been pain free with exception of a slight pull feeling here and there. I think the worst is over now and am looking forward to getting back to some normalcy in a few more weeks.
      Thanks
      Ryan

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar