News Feed Discussions Can hernias cause pelvic pain and the appearance of being pregnant?

• Can hernias cause pelvic pain and the appearance of being pregnant?

Posted by DCards on February 17, 2017 at 5:51 pm

I’ve been diagnosed with an umbilical hernia as well as a hernia a couple inches to the left of my pubic bone. Both due to being pregnant and/or labor. I’ve not had surgery on them yet. I’ve had both for over 6 years. Within the last year I’ve been experiencing hip/pelvis pain. Especially when I walk for a long distance it feels like where my legs meet my pelvis, they are in a lot of pain. I also have joint pain elsewhere but they do not think it’s a autoimmune type thing but no clue what’s causing the pain. My pelvis pain can be very painful at times. I feel like when I went to the doctor is was a quick yes you have hernias that we can see, yes you’ll eventually need surgery and call if it gets painful or a changes color. Not a lot of information to take away with my. I also feel like I have a stabbing pain a few inches to the sides of my belly button that comes and goes. I find it ironic that a lot of the pain I’m experiencing is in the same area of the body. I was also wondering if having an umbilical hernia can cause my stomach to look bloated. It seems like no matter what I do, my stomach fluctuates in size. Could just be a weight thing but I figured I would addresss that on here as well. I’m not overweight and pretty healthy. Any information you can offer would be great. I just don’t want to go back to a doctor only to be told to watch it and hernias don’t really cause any side effects. Thank you.

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 19, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Short answer: yes.

Hernias can cause bloating
    Hernias can cause pain
    Pregnancy may cause Diastasis Recti

• mela414

February 18, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Hernias can cause pain and they can also make you bloated. Especially by the end of the day when you’ve done all your walking. My cousin who recently had twins has the same situation and was told to watch and wait. They also suggested waiting until after she finishes having babies to do the surgery…..providing she is not in pain and can wait.
    I am not sure if this is the answer to your problem or even the correct answer. I am only relaying what recently happened with my cousin who was diagnosed with 2 ventral hernias.
    Wishing you the best. I hope others can answer you here.