News Feed Discussions Can hernias heal without surgery?

• Jnomesh

June 29, 2019 at 3:37 am

Absolutely agree that inguinal hernias or any hernia for that matter can’t be foxed without surgery
    difference between indirect and direct hernia is there location and defect. Indirect is associated with where the hole is for the testicles in males to come down and direct is a defect in the muscle where there is no structural hole to start off with.
    indirect hernia goes directly into the inguinal canal and the direct hernia goes through the muscle and enters inguinal canal at a different point ( not at the opening where a indirect one happens.) oversimplifying it but that’s the jist of it as I understand it

• pinto

June 28, 2019 at 2:12 pm

You make a lot of sense. The essential point I want to make is that the medical community overwhelming says that IHs cannot be healed other than by surgery. And further some patients pre-surgery who have tried these hernia cure exercises have reported their herniae got worse. So there is big risk in doing physical exercise programs not medically approved (precisely because the reports of exercise failure could be accurate.) If I am mistaken, then I will be happy to learn of the rigorous research data that support these programs or claims. Otherwise, caution should be taken.

The indirect/direct distinction, so far, is most confusing in my study of IH. I might be wrong but my understanding is that apart from the congenital type, the other type can be either indirect or direct, the main difference being that the direct extends down to the scrotum. Any help in puzzling it out will be appreciated.

• Jnomesh

June 27, 2019 at 8:14 pm

Thanks. Definitely a ordeal with mesh removal on top of the two hernia surgeries on each side.
    i think it is the other way around indirect hernias are easier to treat-Ive heard the analogy made the a indirect hernia so analogous to a towel preventing a door from closing. Remove the towel and the door closes. This is over simplistic but a indirect hernia is bc of a defect from birth as the small hole that allows ones testicles to drop as a infant stays open to some degree.
    direct hernia a hole is manufactured within the muscle where no hole was previously.
    ive also heard from most mesh proponents that a direct hernia almost always needs mesh where as a indirect hernia can be done non mesh (of course in reality mesh is used for everything . I’m sure the few non mesh experts out there would say have successs treating both types of repairs without mean.
    but you are right a hernia can never be cured without surgery. I think what the author is saying is that they can be managed with some exercises and a support system (truss)
    notice he seems to equate the hernia being “fixed “ with it not popping out anymore. Whether a hernia protrudes or not doesn’t really have anything to do whether a hernia is present or not .
    ot just means it’s not popping out or protruding enough to be seen. The most important fact is that the hole itself in which the hernia goes through cannot be fixed without surgery.

• pinto

June 27, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Jnomesh, sorry to hear about your ordeal. One is enough so I can´t imagine what you must have gone through. I salute you. BTW, didn´t a fine doc in this forum say how direct IHs are more advantageous than indirect ones surgically? If I got that right, then the more complexity might mean you were very lucky about your indirect one not becoming worse. Anyway among the many pronouncements by medical people that IHs cannot be healed naturally, I have never seen any of them limit the restriction to only the direct. Have you?

• Jnomesh

June 27, 2019 at 4:16 am

It also may depend on whether the hernia is a direct hernia or a indirect hernia since a direct hernia is due to a actual defect in the muscle itself.
    i first had a indirect hernia in my right side which was bothersome but no that bad.
    A year later I had what turned out to be two hernias on my left side indirect and direct and both went undiagnosed for 18 months.
    before the hernias were finally diagnosed I was sent to PT 2 separate times for a month each and they had me do all sorts of stir including crunches and other at work and it absolutely aggregated my left side.
    I know there are probably many variable but I really feel that the direct hernia was a different animal. It really bothered me anytime I did any an work or stomach straining and really bothered me when sitting as well-it was a nightmare

• pinto

June 26, 2019 at 12:46 pm

[USER=”2813″]GeorgeHirst[/USER], please provide us with the scientific evidence (actual empirical studies) not solely anecdotal evidence for the claim physical exercise reduces the physical gap from which IHs emerge. Some pre-surgery patients have reported that their physical exercising resulted in enlargement of their IHs. Now I realize their self-reporting are likely unscientific, but their claims are potentially valid. Also the medical community widely reports that IHs cannot heal naturally, only by surgery. Given the risk of enlargement making the IH worse, it would be foolish to do physical exercise aimed at reducing the IH physical gap–unless of course your claim has wide acceptance medically. Aside from empirical research, at least can you name any licensed medical hospitals that offer physical exercise found to reduce IH gaps?

• drtowfigh

June 15, 2019 at 6:56 pm

Yes.
    There is a great pinned story on the home page about core exercises.

• catbird

June 15, 2019 at 1:56 pm

Are core strengthening exercises for hernia worth doing without also wearing a truss throughout the day?

• GeorgeHirst

June 14, 2019 at 9:58 pm

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER][USER=”2804″]pinto[/USER] Thank you for being the only surgeon on planet earth that I have seen willing to stand up and say that they have seen the benefits of exercise to help control an inguinal hernia. So many people say that it is impossible, while they sit and do nothing, looking for proof rather than giving it a try for themselves so they can be their own judge. But I guess if the majority of surgeons are telling their patients to limit their activity, especially abdominal exercises, I can see why.

Also, thanks for backing me up to being called a snake oil salesman. I have helped thousands of active people get on with their lives through writing my blog and designing the comfort-truss, and I pride myself on that fact. So when I see someone say that it’s very frustrating. I don’t have a blog to sell hernia belts, I sell hernia belts to hopefully help the people who read my blog and watch my videos in the same way that the truss has helped me. Am I an entrepreneur? Yes, I have been my whole life, but I have much better things to do with my time than to talk about hernias if I wasn’t truly in this to help people. I sold a very successful company that I owned for over 10 years because it wasn’t fulfilling to me. I would rather help people, and make A LOT less money, than to make a bunch of money doing something that means nothing to me. Like I say anytime I mention the comfort-truss in my videos: You don’t have to buy the belt I designed. It works for me, but everyone has to find one that works for them and fits their lifestyle. I couldn’t find one that fit my lifestyle, so I had to make it for myself, and now I get to help people by offering it to them.

• UhOh!

April 7, 2019 at 8:55 pm
    quote drtowfigh:

I don’t agree that for the watchful waiting patient that can be risky. Quite the opposite. That is exactly what I would recommend for the watchful waiting patient.

I am a surgeon who believes that the hernia hole can decrease in size with certain changes in activities, lifestyle. We have seen the same on followup imaging. Remember that in the case of indirect inguinal hernias, the hole is always there for the round ligament (females) or spermatic coed (makes). It’s enlargement of the hole that makes a hernia a clinical diagnosis.

Do you see reductions in hole size for both direct and indirect, or only indirect?

• drtowfigh

April 7, 2019 at 5:12 pm

[USER=”2831″]bekahjan[/USER] the ultrasound can not injure or damage or worsen anything

• drtowfigh

April 7, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Yes. There is no consensus among surgoens about non-surgical means to reduce hernia symptoms.

• pinto

April 7, 2019 at 2:34 am

I stand corrected, Dr. T. Thank you. I would really like to hear more about it. I never seen anywhere a statement that the hole can be reduced by lifestyle changes. And presumably if so, then theoretically cure could be reached. With all due respect, isn’t there some intellectual tension among surgeons about these points of actually lessening the severity of an IH through exercises and lifestyle?

• bekahjan

April 7, 2019 at 1:39 am

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] You mentioned that above ” in the case of indirect inguinal hernias, the hole is always there for the round ligament (females)”. I had a transvaginal ultrasound to rule out cysts from some pain I was having. The technician was pretty rough. Afterwards, The pain on my right side has gotten a lot worse along my inguinal ligament.

Is it possible that if I had weak muscles before that the ultrasound could have caused a hernia or the round ligament to get bigger? Is the Round ligament near my ovaries or uterus?

I’m interested in this thread, because i’m hopeful that if I do have a hernia, strengthening my muscles will help with my pain and maybe reverse any damage. I’m wondering if the ultrasound possibly weakened my already weak muscles which hopefully can be reversed by strengthening them. Could that be a possibility?

My dr doesnt believe in hidden hernias in women, so I am hoping to get a second opinion very soon. Until then, i’m thinking of starting physical therapy.

• drtowfigh

April 7, 2019 at 12:00 am

I don’t agree that for the watchful waiting patient that can be risky. Quite the opposite. That is exactly what I would recommend for the watchful waiting patient.

I am a surgeon who believes that the hernia hole can decrease in size with certain changes in activities, lifestyle. We have seen the same on followup imaging. Remember that in the case of indirect inguinal hernias, the hole is always there for the round ligament (females) or spermatic coed (makes). It’s enlargement of the hole that makes a hernia a clinical diagnosis.

• pinto

April 6, 2019 at 3:05 pm

I agree especially with your point about unrecognized herniae–they are so unobtrusive that for all practical purposes they can go without surgical treatment. The rest, I refer you to the title of the topic–Can hernias heal without surgery? According to the OED
    heal means “to become healthy again.”

My understanding is that by definition, hernia is literally a hole in the abdominal wall through which bodily matter protrude. Granted I am a simple layperson but the many many doctors I have read all say that hole–that hernia–cannot heal naturally. It can only do so by surgery. Surely after surgery or as a preventative, strengthening the core seems wise but for the watchful waiting patient, highly risky.

And the point of the discussion concerns the website named “My Natural Cure.” The name speaks for itself–it challenges the entire medical profession by claiming a non-surgery cure. Again, I am confident that you will find no legitimate medical doctor who would say that the hernia hole can be closed by physical exercise.
    Thank you.

• drtowfigh

April 6, 2019 at 4:08 am

You will not see such data unless a government entity (US or other) chooses to sponsor it—and there is no exercise regimen that has been validated yet to be used for such a study.

We we do have good population data that shows those who exercise regularly are significantly protected from having inguinal hernias, controlling for BMI. We also know that most exercise does not increase abdominal pressure—that data is there. We also believe that hernias get clinically worse in part from increases in abdominal pressure, though there is no strong data to prove that.

You can extrapolate from these that exercising can reduce hernia as a symptom. Clinically, if you have no inguinal hernia symptoms and your bulge is reduced or gone, then there is little to no indication for repair. You seem to have an issue with the word cure. Maybe remission is a better term?

There are plenty of people with hernias who has no idea they have a hernia—tney would be found on imaging. As surgeons, we don’t offer treatment to them, in general.

• pinto

April 6, 2019 at 3:14 am

Please correct me if I am wrong but “reduct[ion of] the clinical symptoms” does not mean cure. A person is still left with a hernia. If a person does not leave his bed, then he really does not have symptoms (assuming a reducible hernia) . I have yet to find a doctor anywhere who says that hernia can be naturally cured.

I agree however symptoms possibly can be reduced, such that a person might find less debilitation. For example, properly wearing trusses can help when previously misapplied. Exercise is another matter. I have yet to find any published data showing exercise led to appreciable reduction of an IH.

I myself would like to do such exercise but yet to find well illustrated exercises borne from evidence-based data. My local IH surgeon told me to cut out the physical training (very moderate and excludes the abdomen) I do. Perhaps the gentlemen’s website to which you refer has exercises well documented for improving IH conditions, but at the website I find no references to any clinical studies in support.

• drtowfigh

April 5, 2019 at 10:50 pm

[USER=”2804″]pinto[/USER] Absolutely it’’s possible to reduce the clinical symptoms from a hernia by changing lifestyle and improving core muscle strength. We’ve reviewed this topic here on this Forum. I recommend it to my patients all the time.

[USER=”2813″]GeorgeHirst[/USER] has been living this reality for years. He found a flaw with currently available trusses and only recently took it upon himself to redesign them to meet his needs.

I wouldn’t knock the benefits of core fitness in improving the symptoms of inguinal hernias. We know that asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic hernias can be safely monitored, aka watchful waiting.

• pinto

April 5, 2019 at 10:28 pm

My understanding is that across the medical profession there is absolute certainty that an IH cannot heal naturally. And in fact, the gentleman behind
    https://mynaturalherniacure.com/hernia-exercises/
    sells his own truss belt. Surely belief in natural cure will forestall surgery, thereby increasing the potential for truss sales. Seems like nothing more than snake oil selling.

Page 2 of 3