News Feed Discussions Chronic pain risk lower in no-mesh repair or mesh?

• Chronic pain risk lower in no-mesh repair or mesh?

Posted by Chaunce123 on September 13, 2016 at 1:35 am

Is the risk of chronic pain lower in no-mesh inguinal hernia repair, or is it lower in mesh inguinal hernia repair? Is there a real difference?

I see a lot of people wanting to get a no-mesh repair because they feel there might be a lower risk for chronic pain, but is this valid? Does data and expert surgeon experience back this up?

Beenthere replied 7 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • drtowfigh

September 13, 2016 at 4:29 am

Chronic pain risk lower in no-mesh repair or mesh?

No perfect answer to this question
    For most, mesh repair is best
    For some, nonmesh repair is best
    Not all mesh repairs are the same. The risk profiles for pain are technique dependent, mesh-dependent, and patient-dependent.
    At this time we don’t know what is the perfect repair for each individual. We can Naif surmise based on population data. Dr Ramshaw is leading the cause to perfect this tailoring.
    And yes, there is significant risk for non-mesh repair as well. It just wasn’t reported in the past. And is more obvious in the modern data.

• Beenthere

September 13, 2016 at 2:42 am

Chronic pain risk lower in no-mesh repair or mesh?

I think I asked the question before. Mesh has up to and maybe more post surgical pain of 30% but a much lower chance of recurrence. No mesh much lower chance of pain but higher recurrence. Myself I would risk the no mesh if you can find an excellent no mesh surgeon, which in the US is very hard. I lost two years in my middle age would rather have it when I am older and less active. No good answer but find the best surgeon and go with what they do best.