News Feed Discussions Conservative approaches for painless, reducible Inguinal hernia…

• Conservative approaches for painless, reducible Inguinal hernia…

Posted by Jeremy B on December 15, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Hello, My name is Jeremy 36yo, 6’2″ healthy, active and have been diagnosed with a right side Inguinal hernia.
    I first noticed or acquired the hernia after straining on the pot very hard while constipated; I felt a little twinge down there and quickly let up.
    Over the next year, anytime I pushed a little hard I felt the same twinge and burning sometimes while working out.
    I keep the hernia reduced most of the time with a support and and it stays mostly reduced even without the support with what seems to be just a softer area and or slight bulge down there.
    There is no pain and it seems like the condition has plateaued.

My question to the professionals who truly understand the inguinal region is:
    Are there ways to address the defective area/facia without surgery? (pilates, yoga, massage, supplements…)
    If the hernia is kept in place inside the body could the facia possibly rebuild or tighten up again, Or is strengthening surrounding tissues just enough to keep the hernia at bay?

I’d like to hear professional opinions/thoughts on this matter.
    Sincerely
    Jeremy

dog replied 5 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • dog

August 6, 2018 at 4:12 pm
  • John Fortem

August 5, 2018 at 9:13 pm
    quote dog:

Dear Dr drtowfigh can you please give a link to those exercises you kindly tell us about ?

See if this might help.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/multimedia/core-strength/sls-20076575

• dog

August 5, 2018 at 7:52 am

Dear Dr drtowfigh can you please give a link to those exercises you kindly tell us about ?

• John Fortem

August 3, 2018 at 10:08 am

Hey Jeremy!

How you been? Is your conservative approach working?

I share your sentiment. Don’t rush to surgery unless your hernia becomes strangulated which is extremely rare, or you have big problems with your hernia such as constant groin pain or it becomes very large or passes down into scrotum. I have had mine for 8 years now and I am still staying away from surgery. My hernia is reducible, meaning it goes back in when I lay flat on my back and it has not enlarged by much (if at all) over the years. So it is possible in such situation to lead a normal life, with hernia, and without surgery.

Moreover, I have had episodes where my hernia would not poke out in the morning when I get up. Right now I am in my day 3 without hernia. I’m sure it will poke out again eventually. I hope of course that it would stay like this, but I think it’s just playing tricks on me right now. I wrote more about this over here, you can check it out:

https://www.herniatalk.com/8181-can-…ithout-surgery

Wishing you good health.

• Jeremy B

December 18, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Dr. Towfigh, Thank you! I think I will give the strengthening exercises a go.

Given your expertise; Do you think it is it possible for the stretched fascia to heal or regain sufficient integrity if the surrounding musculature can keep the bulge contained?

Do you know of specific exercises that focus on this area?

Sincerely
    Jeremy

• drtowfigh

December 16, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Thanks for question.

For small hernias, core strengthening exercises can mobilize the surrounding muscles to help effectively narrow the hernia opening. Symptoms may resolve. Surgery can therefore be avoided.

For medium sized hernias, the bulging may reduce with the same regimen.

Larger hernias, which spread into the scrotum area, cannot be addressed with such exercises.

Min all situations, risk factors for Hernia worsening should be prevented: constipation, straining, coughs, Weight gain.