News Feed Discussions Consult with Dr. Yunis

• Consult with Dr. Yunis

Posted by Joshio4473 on August 28, 2019 at 5:26 pm

I am nearing 4 months post open inguinal hernia surgery with mesh. I have since discovered they put a 3×6 inch parietene flat sheet mesh in to “fix” the defect. I remain with a few pains that seem to vary.

Pains include an extreme soreness near incision area, sharp pains up to ribcage and now radiating towards my back. I have somewhat began to understand one of my main issues, it seems when my testicle sags it produces extreme pain and sensitivity specifically on the back of my teste (epididymis tail to head) this pain radiates to a point right above my pubic bone next to the base of my “shaft” which is near my incision.. I believe it’s the location of my superficial inguinal ring. This particular pain occurs at worst when testi is lowered and for example I try to walk up or down steps. The bouncing creates an intense pulling sensation that radiates to the “superficial ring”. It is simply agonizing.

i have since consulted with multiple surgeons. Most recently being Dr. Yunis of Sarasota Florida. Upon consult he advised seeing an experienced urologist to rule out any other potential urologic issues (though I never had issues before my surgery with testis) regardless of this a few things stand out about him. He has 8 years experience as a vascular surgeon, abdominal wall experience and is a hernia expert. Though he does use mesh he admits mesh can cause huge problems when used incorrectly-wrong type of mesh for the patient and so on… He has agreed to remove my mesh and perform either a shouldice or desarda repair but strongly advised “as if I were his own son” to try to give it more time and there was a chance to slowly get better and avoid another surgery.

All in all my issues have consumed life as I knew it and I continue to have night terrors, wake up frantic. Mentally I have been broken. I cant concentrate, I cant endure my normal activities of playing drums, playing with my dog and just being active in general. I do fear becoming worse from removal-potential nuerectomies (though he said he was conservative of the nerves I know sometimes its inevitable) at this point however I cant help but fixate on removal. Trying so hard to get on with my life but it certainly is much easier said than done.. I will update as I go but at this point nothing is happening anytime soon.

I hope their is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel and I appreciate any input as always.

DrBrown replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • DrBrown

August 29, 2019 at 5:54 pm

[USER=”2923″]Joshio4473[/USER]
    Since the mesh is affecting you both mentally and physically, go ahead and let Dr Y remove the mesh for you.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• kaspa

August 28, 2019 at 8:37 pm

My comment here didn’t show up and said “unapproved”. This happens again and again.

Sorry for your bad experience. Meshes do cause problems in exchange for lower recurrence (they say).

I think you’ll need a second surgery by an experienced surgeon. Hope you’ll get better in the meantime.

In Shouldice Clinic surgeons’ opinion a second surgery shouldn’t be done before 12 months to allow for full tissue healing (unless urgent of course).