News Feed Discussions Could it be hernia in teen daughter?

• Could it be hernia in teen daughter?

Posted by NiDan on September 17, 2017 at 9:52 pm

When my daughter was approx. 10 months old she had surgery to repair double inguinal hernia (both sides). There were no complications. She is now 13 and has been having a number of strange symptoms for almost 2 months. It started as diarrhea, diffuse pain in lower right abdomen, pressure, dizziness, fatigue, back pain. The urgent care took upper/lower x-rays of intestines and thought she was constipated in upper intestine. We have been to ER for this, too, where they did blood work and abdominal CT with contrast. They did not find anything but her white cell count was elevated. The pediatrician tested her stool for blood, bacteria, parasites. All negative. I thought might be mesenteric lymphadenitis although no one has ever said so… Now, however, she is having pain on left side. She feels tons of pressure like she either needs to vomit or have bowel movement, but neither happens. She is constipated to a large degree, passing small round stool. She has fatigue and looks unwell although she is eating and without fever. This weekend as she was packing to leave on trip, we found lump about size of jelly bean in left side of abdomen approx 2 inches in from hip- it was tender when pressure applied. She continues to have nausea, pressure, dizziness, constipation… should I consider possible hernia or reoccurrence?? Wouldn’t this have shown on CT they did in ER? Can mesenteric lymphadenitis be on left side? Can symptoms last 2 months? The only other thing she has is sore throat on and off… Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. If could be hernia, what do I do to find out?

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

September 21, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Mesenteric lymphadenitis does not present with any lumps that you can feel.

A hernia may be the cause of her symptoms.

The constipation must be treated more aggressively.

CT scan may be misread or perhaps there was no lump at the time of the CT scan.