News Feed Discussions CT scan vs MRI for identifying abdominal hernia?

• CT scan vs MRI for identifying abdominal hernia?

Posted by Unknown Member on September 29, 2023 at 3:49 pm

Which is better for identifying abdominal hernias, CT scan or MRI? Ultrasound confirmed two small fat containing reducible inguinal hernias for me, but I told my surgeon that the majority of the symptoms I feel like pain, bulging/pulling sensation is higher up than my groin, right under my left rib cage. He said that since they are inguinal I should be feeling that much lower. Surgeon recommended I get a CT scan but the amount of radiation concerns me. Has anyone here had theirs identified through MRI? Is MRI as efficient when scanning the abdominal area? This wouldn’t be my first CT scan, I’ve had one in 2017 so that adds on to the worry for me since I’ve already been exposed. I’ve read CT scans are one of those things you only want to have once because of the risks

MarkT replied 7 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • MarkT

October 3, 2023 at 5:24 am

Ah ok, that makes sense…also, I’m suspecting it is not dynamic MRI that is being done, otherwise I don’t see how it could be missed if it is visible standing.

For a non-occult hernia (like yours that is visible standing), even regular MRI could pick it up if they compare images with/without valsalva…though I imagine that still depends upon the person reading the scans to know what they are looking for.

• miner

October 3, 2023 at 3:59 am

I get a ct scan or mri scan every 6 months for unrelated issues.

• miner

October 1, 2023 at 11:47 am

Mine was never picked up on mri or ct scan and you could see mine when standing. I’d ask the surgeon what he’s looking for on the ct scan. Cant speak to the radiation I’ve had probably 10 ct scans in the past 2 years I’m still alive. Although in my case radiation was better then dying lol.

• MarkT

September 29, 2023 at 5:46 pm

Dr. Towfigh has been involved with studies looking at this very topic.

MRI is superior for detecting hidden/occult hernias:

https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2014.484

But it is important to have someone read scans who knows what they are looking for:

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2018.08.003

• MarkT

October 2, 2023 at 4:31 am

miner, if yours was visible, why were MRI and CT done? Were there other potential issues they were looking for in addition to the hernia?