News Feed Discussions Diagnosing occult hernia

• Diagnosing occult hernia

Posted by inagony on October 15, 2023 at 6:34 pm

Hello, does anyone know of surgeons who are skilled in detecting occult hernia through imaging that may take many common insurances?

Thank you

inagony replied 6 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • inagony

October 18, 2023 at 4:32 pm

@markt thank you so much for sending the MRI info over. I was able to get a referral for this specific protocol but now the issue is finding a place who will perform it as instructed. I’ve tried two places, one facility that’s more local, one in Richmond, VA but they both said no when I read them the protocol. I was even transferred to supervisors of radiology at both. I don’t know why they’re not willing to just alter their protocol? I am trying DC area next. I may just have to go to New York because I was told someone could do it up there.

My symptoms and experience have been essentially identical to one of Dr Towfighs HerniaTalk episodes with Dr Sarrel. I was diagnosed with hypertonic pelvic floor disorder and pudendal neuralgia in 2021. Up until this year, Drs haven’t been able to say whether groin pain stems from herniated discs & DDD (injury 2020 but it’s so mild that my recent ortho visit said I shouldn’t try another epidural because they doubt the pelvic issues stem from the back) or an isolated pelvic issue. I did the nerve block route that didn’t help anything, and it was multiple nerves not just pudendal, which they also mentioned happens when it’s an occult hernia. My pain is most often genitofemoral. Been in pelvic floor PT for 2 years with no progress. It’s the location of my pain, the identical symptoms and path I was put on by Drs (pudendal neuralgia/nerve blocks) that make me believe it has to be a hernia. She mentioned PN is so rare and it’s often misdiagnosed when it’s an occult hernia and they put people down that whole path of blocks, ablations etc but they’re not beneficial. I also don’t have period issues like extreme pain so I have no suspicions for endometriosis.

• MarkT

October 16, 2023 at 1:16 pm

Where are you located?

@drtowfigh might be able to recommend someone, since that is an area in which she has experience and a particular interest.

I will link a previous thread below that includes the dynamic MRI protocol she recommends, but what other testing has been done so far that is leading you to suspect an occult hernia?

https://herniatalk.com/forums/topic/suspected-occult-hernia-25f/

Suspected occult hernia, 25F