News Feed Discussions Doctor recommendation for inguinal pain 6 months following inguinal hernia repair

• Doctor recommendation for inguinal pain 6 months following inguinal hernia repair

Posted by Love4852 on August 28, 2019 at 7:55 pm

6 months ago I had a right inguinal hernia repaired laparoscopically with mesh. Recovery was going great until 3 months post op, I felt a pop in the area. Since the pop I have had ongoing pain in the area and a feeling of weakness in my abdomen stemming from the inguinal area.

I saw my surgeon multiple times, had an MRI that came back unremarkable (however, they noted that the mesh itself was not well characterized). My surgeon advised that this pain would go away with time. However, the pain is not subsiding and is significantly reducing my quality of life.

I am am looking for doctor recommendation in either North Dallas or Denver as I am between the two cities. Also any suggestions on how to approach this issue is appreciated.

Thank you!!

Love4852 replied 4 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Love4852

August 29, 2019 at 7:05 pm

[USER=”2580″]DrBrown[/USER] thank you for the insight. However, I visited my surgeon multiple times, had an MRI and he has not been able to find the source to plan treatment aside from rest and ice. He says this will subside overtime, which it has not. Additionally, I am in the process of relocating from denver to Dallas and will soon no longer have easy access to my surgeon.

Do you have any recommendations for surgeons in the Dallas area? I would like a second opinion if anything.

Thank you!

• DrBrown

August 29, 2019 at 6:05 pm

[USER=”2886″]Love4852[/USER]
    The most common source of pain after surgery is a recurrent hernia, fibrosis of the mesh, and damage to the nerves.
    Your surgeon should be able to evaluate you and determine which is the source of your pain and then start appropriate treatment.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD