News Feed Discussions Double Umbilical Hernia

• Double Umbilical Hernia

Posted by elnsanchez on March 28, 2016 at 4:51 am

Good evening,

I am currently seeing a General Surgeon, who has confirmed 2 hernias of Umbilical. Date for surgery is in 1.5 weeks. Surgeon recommends Mesh repair. I had twins 5 years ago and have Rectus Diastasis – just shy of 2 inch gap. My core has not felt as strong as it used to be obviously, but since having the hernia pain and issues, I feel my core stability has given completely out. I am a fitness professional and very active. My personality is very uncomfortable with having mesh in my body. Long term solution is my main concern.

My questions:

1. Would a Full abdominal wall repair be a better long-term solution to fixing the hernia’s and good prevention of future occurrences?

elnsanchez replied 8 years ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • sngoldstein

March 31, 2016 at 2:27 am

Double Umbilical Hernia

I do them all robotically with mesh. Without mesh, the repair is likely to fail. It is 3 small incisions in your c-section scar. Excellent cosmetic result.

• elnsanchez

March 30, 2016 at 2:49 am

Double Umbilical Hernia

Thank you for your reply.

If I could avoid Mesh, fixing the Diastasis would be my main goal. I understand if I do not have enough tissue for Diastasis repair, a mesh would have to be used. Is a vertical incision the only way to repair diastasis or can an incision be made at my C-section line?

Thanks,
    Ellen

• sngoldstein

March 28, 2016 at 11:54 am

Double Umbilical Hernia

It sounds like you would be happier with a repair of your diastaisis which would also repair your hernias. It is my opinion, and that of most surgeons, that a mesh repair is the best way to accomplish this. I would recommend that you find a surgeon that does this repair robotically as this seems to be the best way to handle the problem. I must add that there is not a lot of good data to back up my opinion, but it does seem to work well.