News Feed Discussions Dr. claimed small occult hernia on left side could grow by lap surgery on right side

• Dr. claimed small occult hernia on left side could grow by lap surgery on right side

Posted by mst3k on October 11, 2017 at 10:38 pm

I truly hope a surgeon sees this and can help to determine if this sounds true or not.
    I am scheduled for lap surgery, I have a symptomatic right inguinal hernia. This surgeon had detected what he called a very small hernia on other side. I have no visible lump or symptoms. At a second opinion, another surgeon found it and called it a “weakness” and it required monitoring but no surgery now (His consultation was for open repair on right side) so this backs up that first surgeon did in fact find an early hernia.
    So the first lap surgeon of course said I should fix the other side while he was in there. I declined but he said this was foolish because once he pumped all the gas in to open the space for the right side, it would likely weaken the left side due to pressure. He claims to have seen an invisible small hernia develop further right after surgery if it wasn’t dealt with at the same time. He said this is for my benefit as there was no financial gain for him (he would have made more money by not saying anything and fixing it in a second surgery later).

Is he correct? Has anyone seen or heard of this before? I know professional courtesy would prevent some from contradicting another surgeon but please help, if you know that he is making this up.

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

October 14, 2017 at 8:46 pm

There is no evidence that has insufflation necessary for laparoscopic surgery weakens the abdominal wall or makes a small hernia bigger or more symptomatic.

It is is true that if you repair one side, it is possible that once you are symptom free on one side you may then start feeling more symptoms on the other side. It’s called distracting pain. That is not guaranteed and it’s perfectly safe and feasible to delay repair of an asymptomatic side until you are symptomatic.