News Feed Discussions Dr. Grischkan Modified Shouldice technique.

• Dr. Grischkan Modified Shouldice technique.

Posted by Jeremy B on October 22, 2018 at 9:21 pm

So I have think I’ve decided on Dr. Grischkan of Ohio to make my Inguinal hernia repair.
    An ultrasound shows a Direct defect so my thought is that the modified 2 layer shouldice technique lends itself well to a Direct defect.
    He can perform the repair with PDS Absorbable sutures with apparently great success.
    Does anyone have any input or thoughts on this surgeon? Is he highly regarded amongst surgeons?

Regards
    Jeremy

Jeremy B replied 5 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jeremy B

October 23, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Thanks Chaunce, Yea; If the numbers are correct that is a huge volume of repairs. he normally uses a polybutester suture but will do PDS upon patient request.
    I personally don’t want any remaining foreign body if I can avoid it, he also said that he almost always uses PDS in female patients.
    I wish there was a Surgeon or Patient on here that has had some experience with him. Most of the reviews I have found are glowing.

• Chaunce1234

October 22, 2018 at 9:31 pm

From my own web-research it appears that Dr Grischkan has a huge volume of experience having performed something like 20,000+ hernias repaired, which is just a staggering number that one could reasonably expect conveys a significant level of hernia expertise.

As always do your own research, maybe try to talk to a patient or two.

Unrelated to Dr Grishkan but related to absorbable sutures and hernia repairs, I do recall reading another post here on these forums from a European who had a Shouldice repair with absorbable sutures that ended up failing, so perhaps consider permanent sutures, or at least discuss the options and potential risk/benefit with your surgeon.

Of course you could always consider Shouldice in Toronto Canada as well.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your case and decision making.