News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Dr Towfigh Desarda repair perspective in 2024?

• Dr Towfigh Desarda repair perspective in 2024?

Posted by Jack2021 on January 10, 2024 at 8:08 pm

Hi @drtowfigh

I hope you’re well and that you’ve had a good start to 2024.

Following your Hernia Talk Live with Dr Ralph Lorenz in June 2023, I posted on the forum that it was very interesting to hear you say to Dr Lorenz after he spoke very positively about the Desarda repair, that he had got you rethinking your perspective about it – “I need to go and visit Dr Desarda. You’re making me rethink my thoughts about it.”

It would be great to know if you followed up on that and whether you now believe that the Desarda repair is a good tissue repair option alongside the Shouldice repair?

Thanks,

Jack

drtowfigh replied 3 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jack2021

January 13, 2024 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for your reply @drtowfigh

It does sound like your opinion has shifted somewhat following your conversation with Dr Lorenz if you now consider the Desarda repair another tool in the toolbox.

Re you not having seen a situation among your patients yet to use Desarda vs another more vetted technique, is there a situation you can think of that would warrant it’s use from your perspective, or do you still feel that greater evidence over more time is needed?

Thanks

• drtowfigh

January 16, 2024 at 1:25 am

I’d like to see more evidence via clinical trials and outcomes based on real use databases. It’s important to note the strengths and weaknesses of a technique so its use it tailored to those patients that would most benefit

• drtowfigh

January 10, 2024 at 9:22 pm

Thanks.

I keep an open mind. I’m also evidence based and use logic as much as possible in what I do.

I do not consider Desarda equivalent to the Shouldice. It is another tool in the toolbox. I haven’t seen a situation among my patients yet to use Desarda vs another more vetted technique.