News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Dr Towfigh question can you treat?

• Dr Towfigh question can you treat?

Posted by Pauline on November 28, 2023 at 11:14 am

one year ago I had a direct hernia repaired by a doctor in new york via a SILS surgery. Bard 3d max mesh was used. The doctor talked me into it. saying it would be better if i wanted to wear a bikini etc. Now i am learning that sils surgery is a significant risk for umbilical hernia. He told me there were no risks over and above those for conventional lap surgery. Dr Towfigh can you advise what my risks for umbilical hernia are? I am slender 5’6 125 no smoker not diabetic. But the risks seem significant. I like to go to the gym, Should i stop this to avoid an umbilical hernia? If i get an umbilical – how would you fix it Dr Towfigh? With mesh? how big would the mesh be. I am very upset that this unnamed doctor did not fully advise me of the risks.

drtowfigh replied 4 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 9, 2023 at 9:25 pm

SILS is single incision surgery. The thought is that with one (larger) incision you can do a similar operation as you would with 3 (smaller) incisions.

It’s an interesting technique. It has been used for gallbladder surgery, kidney surgery, prostate surgery. All of these have a specimens to be removed which benefit from the larger incision.

Some are using the SILS for hernia surgery. It is not yet FDA approved for the Intuitive robotic platform, but that’s ok. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

With hernia surgery, there is no specimen to be removed, so there is no advantage to the larger incision. The main advantage of SILS in these situations is it may allow for less visible scarring in some situations.

As with any incision, the larger the incision the higher the risk of incisional hernia. Whether you actually get a hernia is related to your risk factors and the technique of the surgeon. Exercise does not increase that risk; it may even be protective.

(And thanks for wondering about me… I’ve been sick and no voice since before Thanksgiving. Finally starting to feel normal-ish).

• Pauline

November 30, 2023 at 4:01 pm

Dr Towfigh – are you able to respond???

• Ken

December 7, 2023 at 10:03 am

I have read that the larger incision causes much higher rate of hernia. Defer to the good Dr. though she seems absent these days