News Feed Discussions DRG implant

• DRG implant

Posted by LostNPain on April 7, 2018 at 9:25 am

I searched the forums for more information, but I still have questions.
    Does anyone know anything about DRG neurostimulation? What is the difference between this and burstdr ? Are there complications ? Do these procedures have any risks for highly active individuals?
    Ilioinguinal injection with steroid wasn’t as successful as we had hoped for. More (surgical) options are presented but I am apprehensive about placing anything else into my body.

I have developed a painful sensitive knot/bump in the area where my pain has been concentrated for the past year.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

LostNPain replied 6 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • LostNPain

April 7, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Thank you.
    Repeat injections were not offered. I believe they wanted my relief to be longer lasting.
    I have heard the doctors mention nerve ablation but we never went down that route. I want to speak with the new doctor before we decide on anything. I am hoping that he can find the actual cause of the pain so we can better decide the next step. The pain does not improve over time (it’s been a year). The pain is increasing along with its radius of pain. I believe that these temporary pain treatments (while appreciated) will only mask the root of the problem. I fully believe that something is wrong around/with the mesh and my pain will continue until the root problem is fixed.

Your comment about the tacks makes sense to me and is a good thing to consider. I’m sure my new doctor will cover these areas thoroughly.
    I have mentioned to my original doctor several times that when I press on that area it feels like I’m pressing on a very sharp piece of glass. Rolling my finger across it / is excruciating. Pulling my skin with a flat hand is also painful. Repeated Squatting and exercise aggravates it to the point where it will throb and burn and stab me all night.

Thank you for giving me direction on the research for drg. I will do some reading tomorrow evening.

Thanks again.

• Chaunce1234

April 7, 2018 at 9:40 pm

This caught my attention:

>>>> “I have developed a painful sensitive knot/bump in the area where my pain has been concentrated for the past year.”

Just out of curiosity, if your pain is centrally located at what feels like a knot or bump, has a clinician determined that the exact spot is or isn’t the location of a tack used to secure a mesh implant? I recall reading a few stories about spot-specific pain that resulted from a particular tack or fixation, so perhaps it is something to investigate?

Some clinics do repeat nerve block injections every few weeks to gain maximum effect, it may be worth pursuing if you had some relief from the first one, at least before considering another surgery.

Likewise if you have some relief from the nerve block injections, you may want to research something like ultrasound guided radio-frequency ablation or ultrasound guided cryoablation.

As for DRG stimulators, I am not informed enough on that topic to offer much of an informed idea or thought, but you might want to try browsing NIH PubMed for papers specific to DRG with ilioinguinal or genitofemoral nerve conditions.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.