News Feed Discussions Epigastric hernia number 3

• Epigastric hernia number 3

Posted by Ashah2574 on December 26, 2016 at 9:29 am

Hello I had a lap epigastric hernia surgery done at military hospital that failed. About a year later had it re-repaired using open method with mesh under and over the tear. That fixed it but now have a second hernia just below that.. Any advice would be helpful. I am a male 5’7″ 215 avid tennis player( I wear a belt when I play) the hernia I have now is much bigger than my previous one

Ashah2574 replied 7 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Ashah2574

March 18, 2017 at 2:34 am

Hi I did have another open repair earlier today. Dr used ventralight
    mesh. In a lot of pain. Icing on and off and taking Percocet. But the huge(soccer ball size) bulge is gone.

• Ashah2574

February 23, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Hi Dr, thank you for your reply. I have a couple of questions I’m hoping you can answer..Is this considered a recurrent hernia or an incisional? Also would u recommend an actual closure of the defect with ventral hernias or is tension free ok.. I have a consult with Dr girschkan and also at Dr goodyears office(with one of his partners) thanks in advance. My second surgery was done with dr minehart(dr goodyears partner). I did feel great afterwards but noticed another bulge below the healing ridge a month or two later

• drtowfigh

January 4, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Epigastric hernia number 3

Abdominal wall hernias typically recur at the lower edge of the repair. That is where gravity has the greatest pull.

The causes for recurrence vary per person. I would highly recommend that you do not undergo any further operations until all risk factors for failure are addressed. Weight is one of them. Nicotine use is another. Constipation is a third.